Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When to transfer from primary to secondary
Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #21
Maniacally Malty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 253 Times on 129 Posts

that's definetely a krausen. the krausen really isn't a good indicator, either. the only way to know for sure is with a hydrometer, and even that will only tell you when it's done with it's primary fermentation, NOT when the yeasts are done cleaning up after themselves.

Whenever in doubt, leave it an addtional week, i say. I've found the longer i leave my beers in the carboys, the better they usually turn out!

Easy Partial Mash Brewing - Stovetop All-Grain Brewing

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

We will remember...
Old 11-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

I don't bother with a hydrometer reading, but I leave my brews for two or more weeks in the primary. When the kegs are empty from the last batch, everything moves up. I haven't had an unfinished batch yet but the theory is that if it hasn't finished after two or three weeks, it's stuck. The act of transferring should cause it to fire up again. I don't keg until about 5 - 6 weeks in.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Closed Thread