Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Neverending Flanders Red in a Barrel?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
fermentinginpa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Neverending Flanders Red in a Barrel?

If i got a 55 gallon barrel and had an overly ambitious Flanders Red brew weekend (or invited friends) to get things started, could I take out 5 gallons at a time for my kegerator and add 5 gallons of young beer to it to keep it full?

The process I am thinking of is to brew the initial 55 gallons and ferment it for a period of time (not sure how long) in 11 5 gallon carboys (maybe 12 if I want an extra to top off as it ages). After it's finished fermenting, I would fill the barrel and let it age. Then, every 6 months, I would brew 5 gallons to add to the barrel and take 5 gallons out for my kegerator. It's a constant blending of young beer with old beer so I would think the flavor would be constantly changing and maturing. It's kind of a constant blending in the same barrel.

Would this work?

On Tap/Bottled
Berliner Weisse

Old 08-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Warthaug
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What you are talking about is called solera brewing; which in turn was borrowed from sherry brewing. The mad fermentationist has done a whole series of articles on solera brewing (search his site for 'solera' to get the full list).

I would also recommend the mad fermentationists solera calculator, a simple spreadsheet that will help you maximize the use of your barrel (i.e. dfetermining when/how much to withdraw in order to get the best product).

Its a cool project - I'm hoping to get a club-wide solera project going with my brewclub.

Bryan

EDIT: the link to the spreadsheet on the blog appears to be dead. Here is the correct one: http://archive.org/details/SoleraAgingSpreadsheet

Old 08-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
fermentinginpa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Excellent, thanks for the link and the info, I will check it out

On Tap/Bottled
Berliner Weisse