Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > partial mash efficiency

Old 10-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
Hercules Rockefeller
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default partial mash efficiency

Hey everybody, I'm new to partial mashes and was wondering what a typical effieciency for a partial mash is, so I can convert my extract recipes to PM. I've been using the rule of thumb 1lb grains = .75 lbs LME, but I'm wondering if I'm overstating the amount of fermentables I'm extracting from the grain. All I'm doing is throwing a few pounds of pale malt into the brewpot along with my specialty grains, in a big nylon grain bag. I steep in about 2 gallons of water for 45 min at 150 degrees, sparge with a quart of 170 degree water. Is it safe to assume I'll get roughly a certain amount of fermentables out of this or do I need to get a hydrometer and start calculating my brewhouse efficiency? I'm not particularly concerned with exact figures, I just want the beer to taste good

On deck: Breakfast stout
Primary: Empty
Secondary: American Pale Ale
Conditioning: None
Kegged: Imperial red ale, Breakfast stout, Chipotle Irish red ale, Biermuncher's C3C cream ale

Old 10-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
boothbrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know the answer to that but I like your pug.
I have two pugs at home.
One is the troublemaker and the other is the smart, good, obedient dog....

Bottled: -- Robust Porter
Up Next: --
Primary Fermenter 1: -- APA
Primary Fermenter 2: -- Witbier w/ Saison yeast
Primary Fermenter 3: -- Haus Lager
Secondary Fermenter 2:

Old 10-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 30

You can estimate what you should get out but the only way to know is with the hydrometer.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would assume 60-65% then take a sample before you start the boil and add the amount of DME exactly needed. This is what I did on my first and only PM and it worked very well.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
Hercules Rockefeller

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothbrew
I don't know the answer to that but I like your pug.
I have two pugs at home.
One is the troublemaker and the other is the smart, good, obedient dog....

He's both the trouble maker and the obedient dog. He'll take a crap on the carpet just for making him take bath, but he's great with my son. When he was an infant I could leave him on the sofa (breifly) and Hercules would sit at his feat and watch over him patiently.

anyway, thanks for the replies. I'll just assume about 60%. I swore off hydrometers a while ago, but if I'm going to get more into PM I might have to get a bit more precise...

On deck: Breakfast stout
Primary: Empty
Secondary: American Pale Ale
Conditioning: None
Kegged: Imperial red ale, Breakfast stout, Chipotle Irish red ale, Biermuncher's C3C cream ale

Old 10-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Honestly, I wouldn't worry as much about efficiency in PM, since more than 50% of your fermentables typically come from extract.

I'd assume an efficiency of 65%, so you're not at the low-low end of things, but not pushing any upper envelops either.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 10-29-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
shunoshi

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Along the same lines as this, I'm curious as to how one calculates brewhouse efficiency with a partial mash and partial boil. Is there a formula you can use to determine how much sugar you've pulled from your grains even though you've added DME to the wort?

Or can you just take a sample of the mash itself and plug it into some formula before adding DME (and later top-off water)? Such as x grain + y water "should" = z gravity compared to the actual gravity of your finished mash....does that make sense?

This is a bit confusing to me. I'm hoping there is a simple answer to it. Sorry for the semi-thread hijack, but it's sorta related.