Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Slow start with roeselare
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,696
Liked 421 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewing_on_the_Internet View Post
I'm also conflicted on what to do and looking for advice from someone who has done this before. My beer is only a month old so I can't give any input from experience but that sounds like a good plan to me.

I've read you get a more sour end result if you leave it on the cake.
I usually rack mine off as soon as the main fermentation slows down. That way the trub can drop out, but a lot of the yeast gets carried over with the beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
I have a Roeselare packet with a manufacture date of late March 2013. Being 5mo old, think I should pitch 05 along with it for a 1.067 Brown ale?
Just pitch the Roeselare, and see what happens for a couple of days. The blend is deliberately low in yeast cells to allow a long lag time. This allows the Lacto and Pedio to multiply before the yeast starts to create alcohol, which slows down their growth. The quicker the start generally means it takes longer to sour (unless of course you are pitching on a cake that already has a ton of Lacto and Pedio.

If after a couple of days you are starting to get worried, then pitch the S-05.


Calder is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #12
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,617
Liked 2245 Times on 1518 Posts
Likes Given: 2329

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocScott View Post
I'm still deciding. I think I will probably let it sit for around 4 months or so, then move it and put a second batch on the cake to use for blending at 16-18 months. What do you think?
Pitching on an entire 'yeast cake' is always over pitching. I'm iffy on rinsing yeast from mixed fermentations, so I just save it trub and all and repitch a portion of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
I have a Roeselare packet with a manufacture date of late March 2013. Being 5mo old, think I should pitch 05 along with it for a 1.067 Brown ale?
I'd probably try and get another pack of fresh Roselare and pitch both or use a more interesting yeast than 05 that will leave the brett more to work with.


__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.
TNGabe is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:46 AM   #13
m00se
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waltham, MA
Posts: 123
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

How about WY3787 for the brett to work with?



Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Pitching on an entire 'yeast cake' is always over pitching. I'm iffy on rinsing yeast from mixed fermentations, so I just save it trub and all and repitch a portion of that.



I'd probably try and get another pack of fresh Roselare and pitch both or use a more interesting yeast than 05 that will leave the brett more to work with.
m00se is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #14
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,617
Liked 2245 Times on 1518 Posts
Likes Given: 2329

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
How about WY3787 for the brett to work with?
I'd probably go with that if I had it on hand before us-o5, which I have used in a flanders style and wasn't thrilled with. Problem with 3787 is that it's rather explosive and throws mad fusels at the temp you'd want to pitch Roselare at.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.
TNGabe is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #15
m00se
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waltham, MA
Posts: 123
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

T-58?
m00se is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #16
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,617
Liked 2245 Times on 1518 Posts
Likes Given: 2329

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
T-58?
Same deal. That's what I used last time with ECY02 slurry, started it at 62 and I think the the ECY took off before t-58 at that temp, but I'm not sure about Roselare, I've never used ir.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.
TNGabe is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #17
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,696
Liked 421 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
T-58?
If I'm not mistaken (going from memory now - and it's not that good), Jolly Pumpkin changed their base yeast from WLP550 to T-58.
Calder is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,617
Liked 2245 Times on 1518 Posts
Likes Given: 2329

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
If I'm not mistaken (going from memory now - and it's not that good), Jolly Pumpkin changed their base yeast from WLP550 to T-58.
If you remember the source of that, please share it. I'd heard about a possible bottling strain, but not a switch to t-58. Ron Jeffries talks about having his own version of 550 banked in the two CYBI episodes for JP beers.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.
TNGabe is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #19
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,696
Liked 421 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
If you remember the source of that, please share it. I'd heard about a possible bottling strain, but not a switch to t-58. Ron Jeffries talks about having his own version of 550 banked in the two CYBI episodes for JP beers.
It was somewhere on this forum about 6 months ago. I was very surprised. But there were many posters with the same information. I can't say it is a fact, but everyone was very convincing at the time. It is a while now, but I think they referenced some interview with Ron that was the source of the information.

Hopefully someone with the information will post.

The dry yeast is probably easier to handle, less chance of infection, and cheaper. If it gives the same result ...... then why not.
Calder is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #20
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,617
Liked 2245 Times on 1518 Posts
Likes Given: 2329

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder

It was somewhere on this forum about 6 months ago. I was very surprised. But there were many posters with the same information. I can't say it is a fact, but everyone was very convincing at the time. It is a while now, but I think they referenced some interview with Ron that was the source of the information.

Hopefully someone with the information will post.

The dry yeast is probably easier to handle, less chance of infection, and cheaper. If it gives the same result ...... then why not.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/jol...-dregs-382275/This is all I see searching. T-58 is wlp 500 as far is I know, pretty different from 550.


__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.
TNGabe is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow Roeselare start OFTL Fermentation & Yeast 10 08-01-2012 12:34 AM
White Labs, slow start or no start? Jpk2jpk2 Fermentation & Yeast 8 05-08-2012 12:32 AM
Lager slow start, or no start? mattrettig Fermentation & Yeast 7 03-13-2012 05:23 PM
slow, slow start for yeast Fighting_sin Fermentation & Yeast 9 01-21-2010 07:02 AM
Ugh, slow start Loup General Beer Discussion 4 02-18-2009 04:49 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS