Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Stubby bottles not capping?

Old 08-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
MedicMang
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Stubby bottles not capping?

I'm having a hell of a time capping stubby bottles anymore. I used to clean every bottle I could, to fill it with my product, including Woodchuck bottles. These bottles were a pain in the butt to get the label off and clean, so I stopped using those and threw them out. I never really had a problem with these bottles, for what I can remember. Founders and Sierra Nevada both use stubbers, and I've been buying them recently.

The problem is that I use the black wing style capper that commonly comes in kits. When I try to clamp it down, it doesn't start to grab the bottle until I'm almost pushed all the way down. It just doesn't seem that it is completely crimping the cap. Also, when I try to open the ones that this happens to, the neck completely breaks off about 1/2 inch down from the cap.

Who should I stop buying from? Any one else have this problem?

Old 08-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
abrew2u
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I had the same problem and found out it was the capper itself,if you get a new one it should solve your problem

Old 08-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 506 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 226

The only stubbies I ever had an issue with were Anchor's with a wing capper because they do not have the second lower lip to grab, all other bottles worked perfectly fine, are you setting it so the grabbers get the lower or upper lip? That could be your problem, otherwise maybe the capper.

IMO, bench cappers are the way to go, one hand operation, faster bottling and will work on any bottle. If you get the larger bell you can even do Wine and belgian bottles as well.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

The only stubbies I ever had an issue with were Anchor's with a wing capper because they do not have the second lower lip to grab, all other bottles worked perfectly fine, are you setting it so the grabbers get the lower or upper lip? That could be your problem, otherwise maybe the capper.

IMO, bench cappers are the way to go, one hand operation, faster bottling and will work on any bottle. If you get the larger bell you can even do Wine and belgian bottles as well.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Not to pick nits, but those are short necks, stubbies are like this:

I never used Woodchuck bottles, so I can't speak of their durability. I did however break a few necks on bottles while opening other bottles when I was still using my wing capper. Not sure if the two coincided, but I use a bench capper now and haven't broken any in a long time. One thing to check would be to make sure the bell is completely screwed in, if it's removable. If it isn't screwed all the way in, the bell won't be moving far down enough to get a good crimp.

Reason: clarification

Old 08-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I had nothing but problems when I first started out and used a wing capper. Switching to a bench capper was one of those purchases that made my life SO much easier (right up there with the bottling tree and vinator combo). With the wing capper, the problem for me was always that it needed a certain sized lip to grab onto, which may be your issue.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:34 AM   #7
MedicMang
Recipes 

I just hate buying something that I already have, and works... most of the time. I would love a bench capper though. Just a lot larger and slightly expensive. Now is as good of a time as any to upgrade though. Thanks everyone.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #8
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I take it you have checked the bell?

Old 08-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
MedicMang
Recipes 

I did check my bell and its not removable. I had the worst bottling experience the other day, so I threw it out. It wasn't even capping the regular tall bottles that used to cap fine.

I started looking for a bench capper and am kinda saddened by some of the reviews. I am looking at the Super Agata Italian Bench Capper. Is this one good? Some people were saying that it is good for about 6 months then it just crapped out on them from cheap, thin metal and plastic. I just want mine to last a bit longer than that.

Also if anyone has this one already, Does it do Belgian corked bottles too? Maybe with an add-on?

Old 08-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
duboman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicMang
I did check my bell and its not removable. I had the worst bottling experience the other day, so I threw it out. It wasn't even capping the regular tall bottles that used to cap fine.

I started looking for a bench capper and am kinda saddened by some of the reviews. I am looking at the Super Agata Italian Bench Capper. Is this one good? Some people were saying that it is good for about 6 months then it just crapped out on them from cheap, thin metal and plastic. I just want mine to last a bit longer than that.

Also if anyone has this one already, Does it do Belgian corked bottles too? Maybe with an add-on?
I have that one going on 2 years with no issues and yes, IIRC you can get the larger bell for the larger caps.

If you are talking about actual corks then no, you need a corker for that