Apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey. I made a cider 4 months ago and it's bottled and aging. It ok not great. I read the flavor will settle with time. But I'm planning my next batch now but here in chile we don't have access to cider apples. I've been looking and all I have access to is Granny Smith, royal gala, pink lady, and sometimes country apples ( crab apples). I've read none of these eating apples are good for make cider and crab apples are ok. What's the best I can do with these apples? I. Thinking only crab and grany smith

I'd go Gala- the sweetest of the bunch, though I don't think I've ever had Pink Lady. Granny Smith are generally very bitter, so if that's what you use, I'd just make sure there's plenty of balance. Happy Brewing!

I can't give specific advice, but some of the best that I've had was always blended. I don't think apple cider is like wine in the regard that there are perfect varieties. IMHO, apple is best when combined. YMMV.

I wouldn't do crabs, they can be a pain in the ass to press. A blend of all of the other three would be good. Pink Lady and Royal Gala are sweet, and the Granny Smith are tart. I have found that a 2:1 ratio of sweet:tart makes for a very good fresh pressed cider, and we all know that if it is good juice to start with, it will most likely be good when done fermenting and ageing. So try one bushel each of Pink Lady, Royal Gala, and Granny Smith.

Hey. I made a cider 4 months ago and it's bottled and aging. It ok not great. I read the flavor will settle with time. But I'm planning my next batch now but here in chile we don't have access to cider apples. I've been looking and all I have access to is Granny Smith, royal gala, pink lady, and sometimes country apples ( crab apples). I've read none of these eating apples are good for make cider and crab apples are ok. What's the best I can do with these apples? I. Thinking only crab and grany smith

Crab apples can make an ok cider into a very tasty cider. Depends on the type of crab apples though. If your crab apples are tannic & tart, I'd start off by mixing your juice at about 10% crab apple juice. You may want more, just depends on what you like.
Regards, GF.

Back