Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Brett Beers - do I need fresh yeast for bottling

Old 08-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Brett Beers - do I need fresh yeast for bottling

I've been really busy recently and not paid too much attention to brewing. Consequently I had a number of beers which sat in the fermenters for a long time.

I use fresh yeast to bottle the Saison and the IPA (tossed in some dry hops a couple of weeks earlier in that one. And I've got a few Sours that I'll also add yeast to.

I also have two All-Brett beers. I'm guessing they are about 6 months old (I don't have my records with me). Do I need to add any fresh yeast at bottling? I don't have any Brett available, but could grow a sample if necessary. I guessing I don't really need to add any.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 821 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
I also have two All-Brett beers. I'm guessing they are about 6 months old (I don't have my records with me). Do I need to add any fresh yeast at bottling? I don't have any Brett available, but could grow a sample if necessary. I guessing I don't really need to add any.
based on what i've read, the brett will carb you beers but will do so slowly. if you're willing to wait a month or two, the brett will get you there.

if you'd like to enjoy faster (or be 100% sure it's going to carb), pitch something else like a bit of champagne yeast.

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Fermenting: IPA w/ HBC-438 (thanks vinnie!), 2x saison w/ 3726, Ardennes BDSA
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...