First Batch, First Mistake. Dump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enthorn

Reaction score
Hey everybody. Just started my first batch about 3 and a half days ago. The whole process went fine until I noticed one thing, I didn't fill the airlock with water.

It's the 3 piece airlock, and as soon as i noticed it (today, 3+ days into it) i filled it with apple brandy (the clearest liquor i had on hand)

Now my question is. It is even worth it to continue this batch? How vital is the water for the 3-piece airlocks? I'd imagine an unfilled "S" style airlock would be much worse.

Thanks.

No man dont chuck it just put a bit of water in the airlock and you will be fine. Oppps just read that you allready filled the airlock - either way your beer is going to turn out just fine. Im sure we have all done alot worse lol

I probably did half a dozen mini-batches with nothing in the airlock but air before I realized you're supposed to put either sterile water or alcohol in there. The only batch that I got an infection with was the one that overflowed.

AZWyatt said:
I probably did half a dozen mini-batches with nothing in the airlock but air before I realized you're supposed to put either sterile water or alcohol in there. The only batch that I got an infection with was the one that overflowed.

Oh Crud!!!:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: more I read, I find more mistakes I made.

There's no way contaminants can make that trip. Even without water, you have that domed cap sitting on top of the tube. Most contaminants have to fall in cuz they don't have legs.

Evan! said:
In all likelihood, your beer is ruined. The apple brandy is no consolation; I'd chalk this one up as infected.

is this where I say "you're a dick" :D

98EXL said:
is this where I say "you're a dick" :D

That would be two of us... lol... He didn't even add the part about ship it to me for displosal...

Rule of thumb: NEVER throw out a beer... Period, i've bottled an infected beer, it carbonated and lives.

Evan! said:
In all likelihood, your beer is ruined. The apple brandy is no consolation; I'd chalk this one up as infected.

Now, now. Be nice, Evan!. As beginners we've all fretted over one issue or another. Sure, his beer is completely ruined and should be dumped, but that's no reason to dis the brandy. :D

I did the same thing on my first batch - no water in the airlock.

When I drank the beer, I died instantly

...I'm feeling much better now (honestly, you're fine)

DeadYetiBrew said:
That would be two of us... lol... He didn't even add the part about ship it to me for displosal...

maybe he was just feeling lazy

Thanks for the very quick replies guys!

And you can hate on the brandy if you want too... it was from an ex and was downright undrinkable. Glad to actually put it to good use.

Fingers said:
Now, now. Be nice, Evan!. As beginners we've all fretted over one issue or another. Sure, his beer is completely ruined and should be dumped, but that's no reason to dis the brandy. :D

notice I never said "dump it"? Dude got me thinking the other day...I gotta do that more often. Not that I'm worried...for every comment like this, there are 10 contradicting me, so...enh. :D

the_bird said:
Don't worry about Evan!, none of us like him, either....

(should I use teal text on that or not?... hmm... :confused:)

I wouldn't use teal...or MediumTurquoise...he's just not worth it

Evan! said:

I hope you are being sarcastic..there is about a 5% chance that it is infected just because he did not put water in his airlock.
Don't worry about it...

I know teal means sarcasm...but you weren't sure whether to use it...is all I'm sayin. Either way, it's hard to read people on the internerd. I mean, I'm pretty sure Dude hates me because I questioned his methodology when he tested the sam adams glass, or maybe something else, I dunno. I PM'd him and got no reply, and he ignores me in IRC...not that I'm losing sleep at night over it, but you just never know what people are really thinking. Good to know you weren't serious though, Birdman. /offtopic

Evan! said:
are you being sarcastic now? :D

BTW, you ready to watch Brady & Co. get hit with their first (L)?

You know what the line is on that game?

Sixteen-and-a-half points.

I'd be shocked if the Pats don't win by at least three touchdowns. I'm becoming convinced that Belichick is winning his $500k fine money back by putting money on the Pats and laying the points....

Yeah, I know what the line is...but the skins are underrated if they can manage to score in the second half. And the Pats are due for a screwup/upset. I'm hoping it's this week.

Evan! said:
Yeah, I know what the line is...but the skins are underrated if they can manage to score in the second half. And the Pats are due for a screwup/upset. I'm hoping it's this week.

that would be so odd if it ended up being the skins

Evan! said:

There is zero chance the redskins will win.

Back