Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Where to find water report

Old 08-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
dmoldow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Where to find water report

I live in Charlotte, NC and was seeing if I would be able to find a water report online. I think I could go up to a local gardening store and they might have it but didn't know if anyone would have one?

Thankssss

Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
jhall4
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Normally I'd just recomment that you contact city hall - they'll either be able to help you find it on their website or send you one.

However, since I'm feeling generous...
http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/U...y%20Report.pdf

Old 08-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1031 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Useful information, no doubt, but not to a brewer. There are two available routes: 1) get city hall on the phone and ask to speak to a chemist. They are measuring what you need to know but aren't reporting that data as they don't have to and most consumers wouldn't know what the data imply anyway.
2) Send a sample to Ward Labs and get a report on the most significant water parameters. You don't have to know what to ask for as they already do. The cost is modest. Option 2 is doubtless the better option unless, and this does happen, you tell the guy at the water works that you want to know this stuff because you are a home brewer and he says "Me too!". Don't count on this.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
jhall4
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
Useful information, no doubt, but not to a brewer.
Ah, sorry. I've looked up several water reports for various municipalities I've lived in and they've always contained the mineral concentrations that are useful for brewing - so I assumed this one would to. I guess I should have checked! Now that I'm looking in more detail, it doesn't look like any of the provided reports have the necessary info...

Old 08-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I contacted one of the bottled water suppliers in my area (5 gallons for water coolers and the like) and they provided me the local tap water composition as a sales pitch to try to sell their service. You can likely find one to do the same.