Sanke fermenter issue - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Sanke fermenter issue

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
Islandboy85
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Dallas, Texas
Posts: 775
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts



I've been fermenting in snake kegs for a while now, but I think I may have an infected beer. I didn't try to taste it since I was heading into work. It had lots of white stuff on top. Not what my other beers have done in the past. So, I'm guessing that my cleaning and sanitizing isn't good enough. Would it be better to spend my money to pt a 4 inch triclover on the keg so I could get in and scrub the crap out of it, or buy a pump to make a keg/fermenter washer?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
headwall
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
, MT
Posts: 68
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


What has your sanitation technique been? Maybe there are ways you can improve your process before you go out and spend a lot of money.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
Islandboy85
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Dallas, Texas
Posts: 775
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts


I run boiling wort through my CFC for 15 minutes, and flush it with water after use. I slosh 2 gallons of Star San in the Sanke fermenter. I'm guessing that a small amount of schmutts built up over time from having some trouble cleaning them out after fermentation. Soaking them to listen up the kreuzen has only given me moderate success.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
headwall
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
, MT
Posts: 68
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


How do you clean them after fermentation? A carboy brush should fit through the opening so maybe a good PBW or oxyclean soak and a good scrubbing might help. A sanitation technique that has been suggested to me is to fill the keg with a few inches of water and boil for 5-10 min. The heat and steam should kill most anything still living in there. Those are my only ideas. If a hot soak and scrubbing with a good cleaner followed by steam sanitizing doesn't work I'd look in to building a keg washer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Islandboy85
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Dallas, Texas
Posts: 775
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by headwall
How do you clean them after fermentation? A carboy brush should fit through the opening so maybe a good PBW or oxyclean soak and a good scrubbing might help. A sanitation technique that has been suggested to me is to fill the keg with a few inches of water and boil for 5-10 min. The heat and steam should kill most anything still living in there. Those are my only ideas. If a hot soak and scrubbing with a good cleaner followed by steam sanitizing doesn't work I'd look in to building a keg washer.
I did an oxyclean soak for a few days with lots of rolling the keg around. I'll try the brush.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
processhead
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Nebraska
Posts: 793
Liked 131 Times on 102 Posts


It's hard to know how clean you are getting a Sanke keg.

I started using a inspection mirror on a telescoping wand with and a light to inspect them internally.

I was surprised how much of ring I was leaving behind even after brushing with cleaner.
__________________
How hard can it be?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Islandboy85
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Dallas, Texas
Posts: 775
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by processhead
It's hard to know how clean you are getting a Sanke keg.

I started using a inspection mirror on a telescoping wand with and a light to inspect them internally.

I was surprised how much of ring I was leaving behind even after brushing with cleaner.
That's why I'm wondering if it'd be better to add a triclover ferrule on top to give me better access to get in there chisel it out if I have to.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
wyzazz
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,312
Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts


If you put a gallon of water in there and put it on your burner, heat it up until steam shoots out like a volcano for 10 minutes or so, then do an oxiclean/PBW soak you won't have any krausen ring left in there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
Islandboy85
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Dallas, Texas
Posts: 775
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz
If you put a gallon of water in there and put it on your burner, heat it up until steam shoots out like a volcano for 10 minutes or so, then do an oxiclean/PBW soak you won't have any krausen ring left in there.
Ok. Ill give that a shot.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
JonW's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Huntington Beach ☼
Posts: 2,010
Liked 247 Times on 154 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
If you put a gallon of water in there and put it on your burner, heat it up until steam shoots out like a volcano for 10 minutes or so, then do an oxiclean/PBW soak you won't have any krausen ring left in there.
Ditto what wyzazz is saying. You mentioned StarSan before, but nothing else. StarSan isn't a cleaner - it is only a surface disinfectant for already clean surfaces. You need to do PBW and/or the burner method to get the soiled material off the surface.
__________________
Surf City Brewing (TM)

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build:..... [LINK]
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface:.. [LINK]
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build:.................... [LINK]

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sanke fermenter moparx12 Fermenters 27 03-18-2012 04:41 PM
Sanke Fermenter kit? mavrick1903 Equipment/Sanitation 4 09-29-2011 04:14 PM
Sanke Fermenter Kit, Counterflow Chiller, and Large Carboy & Sanke Keg Cleaner bighand For Sale 5 09-04-2011 03:05 AM
Sanke cleaning issue Twofox Equipment/Sanitation 10 07-03-2011 02:19 AM
Sanke as Fermenter Laouboy Equipment/Sanitation 2 01-10-2011 09:55 PM


Forum Jump