WLP007 Champagne Taste Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachBeerBoo

Reaction score
Just tossed two vials of WLP007 into a 2L starter. I have a habit of smelling and tasting the yeasts. Both vials had a bit of a sour champagne taste and smell. The yeast was clumpy, even after shaking and warming up to ambient.

Could these vials have turned? Best before dates were both Nov 1. I find it hard to believe that TWO vials of yeast could have turned. :confused::confused::confused:

EDIT: I dump the vials directly in the erlenmeyer flask immediately after opening the vials, then taste the remaining drops in the vials after covering the flask with foil. So it's extremely unlikely that I could have contaminated the vials.

The clumpyness of 007 is normal. It looks like egg drop soup on the stir plate.

That I can't answer, as I never tasted the wort in the vial. I would e-mail White Labs and enquire about this. They may do something a little different to the wort for shipping and storage.

Am sure its OK. Yeast tend to give off odd smells. I've used that yeast lots of times and yes the starters do smell a little off but as long as you ferment the your brew at proper temps you wont get any of those off flavor in you final product!!

Back