Best temp for protein rest/chill haze? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Best temp for protein rest/chill haze?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
dyqik
Recipes 
 
Jun 2013
Maynard, MA
Posts: 1,151
Liked 214 Times on 168 Posts


Where are you and where's your water from? There's a chance someone already has enough information about your water for a simple adjustment.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
StoneHands
 
StoneHands's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Birmingham, AL
Posts: 431
Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'd skip the 5.2 "stabilizer" and ... make one batch with all RO water with a teaspoon of calcium chloride, ....
This is the best advice. It's cheap, the 5.2 may or may not be doing anything anyway. I realize a protein rest is practically free, but I think this is your best bet. It'll improve your beer even if it doesn't fully fix the chill haze issue (which I bet it will).

Also, if you're on a public water system (not a well), you should be able to get most or all of the data from your municipality.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
gwapogorilla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
gwapogorilla's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
, Jackson County, Iowa
Posts: 534
Liked 71 Times on 53 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
This is the best advice. It's cheap, the 5.2 may or may not be doing anything anyway. I realize a protein rest is practically free, but I think this is your best bet. It'll improve your beer even if it doesn't fully fix the chill haze issue (which I bet it will).

Also, if you're on a public water system (not a well), you should be able to get most or all of the data from your municipality.

Okay, I'll skip the 5.2 stabilizer. Just what do you mean by R.O. water anyway? I use municipal water, but they have little to NO information on the ion counts. All they could give me was the ph(which is 7.4) and the sodium count...92ppm. That's it. Welcome to small town Iowa.

I'll check the LHBS for ph strips and such. When you check the mash ph, do you need to wait a while before you check it?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
BrewingGunner
 
BrewingGunner's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Coronado, California
Posts: 239
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts


I know you said you didn't want to add anything else, but gelatin does wonders. If you cant bring yourself to use gelatin, let the beer cold condition, after you have bottled and carbonated it, for 2-3 weeks. It will clear up.
__________________
Primary: Mosaic IPA
Secondary: Calypso Pale Ale
Keg 1: MT :(
Keg 2: Thunderdome Red

My Brewstand Build

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
StoneHands
 
StoneHands's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Birmingham, AL
Posts: 431
Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts


R.O. water is reverse osmosis water. Distilled water is essentially the same. If you buy it from the grocery store, make sure it says "distilled" and not "drinking" or "spring" or anything else, needs to say "distilled".

I'll add, I'm told the pH strips are essentially useless since they're difficult to read and not consistent. I would save your money on strips, follow the water primer with distilled water, acid malt, calcium chloride, etc. and see where that gets you. For my purposes (like you, still a hobby), the water primer gets me close enough and I get very good results. When I want to take it to the next level, I'll buy a meter and skip the strips.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
JLem
 
JLem's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Attleboro, MA
Posts: 3,639
Liked 178 Times on 154 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapogorilla
I use municipal water, but they have little to NO information on the ion counts. All they could give me was the ph(which is 7.4) and the sodium count...92ppm. That's it. Welcome to small town Iowa.
I don't know this for sure, but the water department probably has a more complete report - try going I'm person and asking for a full report, one that includes secondary mineral analysis. My town's standard water report only includes things that are a safety concern, but they gave me a complete printout with the info I needed when I asked for it. You'll want to know Ca, Mg, Na (which you already have), Cl, SO4 and some form of water hardness (total alkalinity or alkalinity as CaCO3...or something like that...I always forget the details on this one).

Not sure if ALL towns have this info, but yours might. Worth a shot.
__________________
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
StoneHands
 
StoneHands's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Birmingham, AL
Posts: 431
Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Not sure if ALL towns have this info, but yours might. Worth a shot.
All municipal water treatment facilities have to have this information, because they have to test the water by law to make sure it's safe. It may be just a matter of finding the right person to ask.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #18
JLem
 
JLem's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Attleboro, MA
Posts: 3,639
Liked 178 Times on 154 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands

All municipal water treatment facilities have to have this information, because they have to test the water by law to make sure it's safe. It may be just a matter of finding the right person to ask.
That's what I thought, but wasn't certain. Though are all the ions relevant to brewing considered municipal safety concerns?
__________________
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #19
pdxal
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Portland, OR
Posts: 1,568
Liked 165 Times on 151 Posts


+1 on high hop rates.
Besides what has been mentioned, if your water is low in calcium flocculation might be inhibited, adding a little calcium chloride or gypsum might be worth a shot if there is no other information available or other things don't work.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #20
gwapogorilla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
gwapogorilla's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
, Jackson County, Iowa
Posts: 534
Liked 71 Times on 53 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
I don't know this for sure, but the water department probably has a more complete report - try going I'm person and asking for a full report, one that includes secondary mineral analysis. My town's standard water report only includes things that are a safety concern, but they gave me a complete printout with the info I needed when I asked for it. You'll want to know Ca, Mg, Na (which you already have), Cl, SO4 and some form of water hardness (total alkalinity or alkalinity as CaCO3...or something like that...I always forget the details on this one).

Not sure if ALL towns have this info, but yours might. Worth a shot.
I saw the report. It does have radon, lead and stuff of that nature....but as far as what Ward labs looks for, just sodium is all. And they only do it once every 3 years as required by law.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protein Rest Temp for Dark Wheat TAK All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 07-25-2013 05:35 PM
Protein Rest vs. Mashout vs. Chill Haze vs AHHHHHHHHHH CONFUSION TheJasonT All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 05-26-2013 08:24 PM
protein rest in mash tun, than heat to mash temp? hog2up All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 12-19-2012 02:38 AM
How long does it take chill haze to drop out at fridge temp? moonbrew Bottling/Kegging 2 06-20-2009 05:26 PM
High Temp for Protein Rest brew42 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 04-12-2008 01:13 PM


Forum Jump