National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Help deciding on name for a beer bar

Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
pnc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help deciding on name for a beer bar

I am new here but would like to see if I can get some opinions on names for a craft beer bar that I am in the process of planning for. I have narrowed down some choices. Which one do you like from the following? Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help in advance!
Possible names:
Brew Wise
The Grain Bill
Brew Central
Hoppy Thoughts
The Barley Tree
The Barley Corner

Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I like the Barley Tree and the Barley Corner.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
NewWestBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Where is the bar going to be located? Maybe try to incorporate the town or area...people like home grown shops.
Fermenter #1:
Fermenter #2: Air
Fermenter #3: Air
Bottled: Alesmith IPA
Up Next: Buffalo Sweat Clone (FinsFan)

Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Adaman05
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I like Hoppy Thoughts.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2428 Times on 1731 Posts
Likes Given: 4735

the grain bill is awesome!
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
I weep about society as a whole. In the land of reality TV and microwave dinners, the homebrewer is king.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think you might want to consider what questions you are not asking yourself that might lead you to a name. I see more and more bar/brewery name threads and I wonder if people aren't asking and/or dreaming enough. What do you want your ambiance to be like? What types of beers in particular will you highlight? Will you serve food? If so what food? What's your demographic? Where will the bar be located? Are you in a city or small town? Does the town or neighborhood have and interesting or clever sounding name? You need to start answering the bigger questions first. Once those are answered, you'll either have a significantly shorter and more unique list to choose from or the name will just fall in your lap.
Bottled: Belgian Gold
gratus fermentatio Likes This 
Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 338

These all sound like homebrew shops to me. A selection of the best craft beer bars near me all have non-beer related names:

The Tipsy Crow
The Blind Lady
Small Bar
Hamilton's
Tiger!Tiger!
Toronado San Diego
The Regal Beagle
Urge Gastropub

These places are known for their beer, and not something else. Just something to consider.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 08-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
Henry22
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Beer bar from my hometown (Lexington, KY) are Beer Works and Beer Trappe.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #9
tooldudetool
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Wtf is a Barley Tree? I agree that it doesn't need to be an obvious beer ingredient reference. I think The Tree is a cooler bar name than The Barley Tree.. it doesn't have to scream beer in the name, it just needs to be a name that people can say "hey man, you want to go to ***** and get a pint?" The one craft beer bar in our small town is called Maggie's Pub, which I think is awesome... "wanna go to Maggie's and get a pint?" kinda rolls off the tongue. Btw, I don't think anyone but homebrewers and serious beer nerds even know what a grain bill is... my 2 cents anyway

Old 08-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1293 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 3669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintab View Post
I think you might want to consider what questions you are not asking yourself that might lead you to a name. I see more and more bar/brewery name threads and I wonder if people aren't asking and/or dreaming enough. What do you want your ambiance to be like? What types of beers in particular will you highlight? Will you serve food? If so what food? What's your demographic? Where will the bar be located? Are you in a city or small town? Does the town or neighborhood have and interesting or clever sounding name? You need to start answering the bigger questions first. Once those are answered, you'll either have a significantly shorter and more unique list to choose from or the name will just fall in your lap.
Some great advice! What's in a name? If you have the word "corner" in the name, it should be located on a corner. "Barley Tree" sounds like a store in a mall. What sort of decorating theme is planned? If it's decorated like an Irish pub, I think it should have an Irish name, like O'Leary's.

If it's decorated in a generic way, then I think a name like Barley's Pub works well; gives you a lot of leeway on just about everything. Is it a brewpub? Maybe something like "The Taproom" or "Barley's Brewpub." Doesn't have to be Barley's either, something reasonably short & possesive would work well. You could call it "Frank's" or "Dave's" But I don't think long names or difficult to pronounce names like "Weirzbeski's" would work; though if you shortened a tough name like Weirzbeski to something like "Ski's" or "Beski's Brewpub" it could work for you.

I have to agree with spintab: answer those questions & you'll have the name.
Regards, GF.