Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yikes...Mold (not a "is this infected" thread)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Ridire's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,932
Liked 1254 Times on 854 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Default Yikes...Mold (not a "is this infected" thread)

This is a first. I woke up this morning and there is a ton of mold growing on the outside of my fermenter. I have never had this happen. I am not about to open the lid to look inside (but assume it is fine). I am thinking about bleach bombing the outside of the thing. No downside to that, right?


Ridire is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
freisste
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 2,450
Liked 311 Times on 261 Posts

Default

The bleach may slightly degrade the outer surface of the bucket, but it should be minimal. As far as downsides go, this is a pretty minor one.

Did you spill wort on the outside when filling? I might be slightly concerned that it is a moldy area where you keep your fermenters - more from a personal health point of view than beer health.


freisste is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Ridire's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,932
Liked 1254 Times on 854 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
The bleach may slightly degrade the outer surface of the bucket, but it should be minimal. As far as downsides go, this is a pretty minor one.

Did you spill wort on the outside when filling? I might be slightly concerned that it is a moldy area where you keep your fermenters - more from a personal health point of view than beer health.
It is inside a fermentation chamber in my finished basement. I have feremented several batches in the basement and have never seen mold before. But there does seem to be some wort spilled down the side of the bucket, which probably did not help matters.
Ridire is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
NordeastBrewer77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 7,933
Liked 1082 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Default

Is this "fermentation chamber" a chest freezer? Those can sweat and get quite damp inside, but you can buy crystals that'll absorb moisture. Just put a small, open container of them in the freeze and it should help. Oh, also, wipe down the outside of the fermenter after filling it.
__________________
The Polk Street Brewery

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
NordeastBrewer77 is offline
Billy-Klubb Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Ridire's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,932
Liked 1254 Times on 854 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
Is this "fermentation chamber" a chest freezer? Those can sweat and get quite damp inside, but you can buy crystals that'll absorb moisture. Just put a small, open container of them in the freeze and it should help. Oh, also, wipe down the outside of the fermenter after filling it.
Ferm chamber is an old kegerator.
Ridire is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Paps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gravette, Arkansas
Posts: 700
Liked 114 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Default

imho go ahead and bleach the hell outta everything.
it couldn't hurt to throw an open box of "arm & hammer" in your fermentor or an open box of salt.
-cheers
Paps is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Ridire's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,932
Liked 1254 Times on 854 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paps View Post
imho go ahead and bleach the hell outta everything.
it couldn't hurt to throw an open box of "arm & hammer" in your fermentor or an open box of salt.
-cheers

Bleached the outside of the bucket. Misted the top and the airlock with starsan. Made sure the airlock was properly filled with vodka. Bleached the inside of the chamber.

All I can do until it's time to dryhop and cold crash, I suppose.
Ridire is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
b-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Frozen Tundra, NY
Posts: 3,635
Liked 873 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 270

Default

I have a similar issue.

The other day I opened my fermentation chamber (an old freezer) and got hit with a moldy smell. There was a lot of moisture built up from a double batch I did about 3 weeks back. I'm amazed how much moisture a fermentation, let alone 2, generates. There was mold around the seal because of the moisture. It's happened before. It only happens during the summer. I usually just dry it out, clean with bleach spray, and leave it open to the air for a few days. I;ve never had it effect the beer.
__________________
Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.
b-boy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
freisste
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 2,450
Liked 311 Times on 261 Posts

Default

I doubt it matters much, but if I were you guys I would be diluting the bleach to 5:1 or even 10:1. Still strong enough to do the job, but it will cut way down on burning your eyes, nose and hands. Probably a little easier on the inside of the fridge as well.

And anytime the fridge is not in use, leave the door open. They seal pretty well and grow mold faster than Petri dishes if they aren't running.
freisste is offline
NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Ridire's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,932
Liked 1254 Times on 854 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
I doubt it matters much, but if I were you guys I would be diluting the bleach to 5:1 or even 10:1. Still strong enough to do the job, but it will cut way down on burning your eyes, nose and hands. Probably a little easier on the inside of the fridge as well.

And anytime the fridge is not in use, leave the door open. They seal pretty well and grow mold faster than Petri dishes if they aren't running.

Oh, certainly. I filled a bucket with water and put bleach into that. I'm sure I diluted more than 10:1. Enough that I could certainly smell it but not so it was going to be pure bleach.

From now on, I am going to swab the inside of the chamber with bleach water on brew day, at about the same time I'm starsan soaking my fermentation bucket.


Ridire is offline
NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet another..."my beer is infected" thread...mine really is...now what? imfinallywright General Beer Discussion 10 08-09-2012 03:30 PM
Another "Is my beer infected?" thread motleybrews Fermentation & Yeast 5 04-28-2012 02:09 PM
A slightly different "Is it infected?" thread (w/ pics) SenorPepe Fermentation & Yeast 6 02-29-2012 03:29 AM
"Does This Look Infected To You?" Thread number #53676478367831684 BMGfan Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 23 08-12-2011 12:35 AM
Another "Is My Beer Infected - Should I Dump It" Thread Alleydude Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 05-03-2011 07:48 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS