Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wit Pumpkin Ale
Old 10-25-2007, 04:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Likes Given: 1

Default Wit Pumpkin Ale

Wit Pumpkin Ale.

Here's something I'm trying this weekend: A Belgian Wit White Pumpkin Ale. The base recipe is based on a Blue Moon copy I saw somewhere else on this board.

I had done a pumpkin ale from "The Homebrewers Recipe Guide" by Higgings, Kilgore and Hertlein (ISBN:0-684-82921-5) and its coming along good. Three weeks in bottle and I can start to taste it mellowing out.

So anyway, I was in the grocery store again and saw white pie pumpkins. When I mussed to my SWMBO / spousal-unit about doing another pumpkin ale, SHE suggested doing a belgian wit with the pumpkin...

4.5 lb: American 2-row
4.5 lb: Wheat Malt.
8-ish lb: baked white pie pumpkins
Hops (appropriate to Belgian Wit)
Orange Peel
Belgian Wit yeast

Baked the pumkin at 350F for 2 hours with dried orage peel and a sprinkling of raw sugar. Cubed the flesh.

Single infusion,153-155, 60 min-ish, 170 sparge, collect enough to boil down to collect 5 gal.

Now the question: Do I add the pumpkin to the mash or the boil...? The last batch, I added it to the boil....I've seen both in recipes. (For extract brewer, adding to the boil is the only real option...)

Any thoughts appreciated...

Old 10-25-2007, 04:26 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I use the mash method. I feel that the pumpkin gives me enough flavor from the mash and a little bit of sugar, without having to deal with losing a gallon and straining pumpkin out of the fermenter. This is how I do it but it's now the only way.