Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten eating enzyme.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
melby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gluten eating enzyme.

Anyone know if you can purchase the or a similar enzyme to the one used in Omission? I'd love to use it for my gluten free friends.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 40

First of all, Omission isn't made with just an enzyme; they also use a mutant strain of barley that produces very little detectable hordein. Second of all, yes, you can buy it, it's called ClarityFerm. Third of all, make sure your friends can tolerate Omission well before you try to make them a batch, and make sure that you don't include wheat (especially not unmalted wheat) in the grist. If you really want to be safe(r), I would suggest using some non-gluten ingredients to make up around half the fermentables--rice syrup, honey, candi syrup, etc. Of course, if you REALLY want to be safe, buy some malted millet instead. The flavor is quite comparable to barley and there are now two maltsters in the U.S. making a full range of specialty malts (crystal, roast, etc.).

Old 08-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
MoxieStarfire
Recipes 

Who are these millet malters and do they have a website?

Old 08-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
robbyhicks
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Colorado malting company
http://coloradomaltingcompany.com/Gl...ree_Grain.html

Like any company that deals with non gf grains as well they do use gf grain but do not gurantee gf malts... this is the situation I see clarityferm being so good...

Old 08-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 40

CMC is actually opening a dedicated facility. I've brewed tons of beer with their malts, and while I react to Omission, I do not react to the beers I've made with their malts. But if you're sketched out, there's also Grouse, www.grouseco.com, they are slow to respond but they only do GF malts.