Hello propane burner!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfranzer

Reaction score
Picking up a bayou cooker propane burner tomorrow. This will cut down on my time I take to get to a boil with my electric stove. Are there any things I need to be concerned with or pay attention to (other than safety) when switching from stovetop to a 210,000 btu burner?

Congrats. Going from the stovetop, to a propane turkey fryer/burner was one of the best moves I made in brewing.

It's really easy to blow right by your target strike temp when you're first starting with a propane burner. Watch the temps carefully at first until you get a feel for it.

BUY A BACKUP PROPANE TANK!

That's a big burner, mine is big too though just make sure you are doing full boils... You'll probably burn off at least 1-1.5 gallons if you are starting with 7 gallons or so.

Also if the instructions do not mention it, take that sucker out and light it and let it run to burn of all the paint. I do not even think they should paint the darn things!

That's a big burner, mine is big too though just make sure you are doing full boils... You'll probably burn off at least 1-1.5 gallons if you are starting with 7 gallons or so.

Once the wort hits a boil, I generally turn my burner down as far as I can while keeping the boil going. I'm somewhat new to home brewing, but I've read one of the most common mistakes is home brewers having way to intense of a boil and having tons of boil-off. You just need a nice rolling boil, nothing crazy.

Congrats. Going from the stovetop, to a propane turkey fryer/burner was one of the best moves I made in brewing.

It's really easy to blow right by your target strike temp when you're first starting with a propane burner. Watch the temps carefully at first until you get a feel for it.

+1 on that. Sent my housemate to get another tank on last brew day as I had a suspicion. Hearing the gate open was a relief as I had been turning the valve on my burner up for about 5 minutes before he got back. Two minutes later the tank was done.

KNOW how to shut off your burner without looking at it. When you hit boil and put in your first hops it is going to boil up like mentos in a diet coke. Always crack the valve on a low pressure cylinder only a half turn. If you have an emergency, you'll still be able to shut the gas off quickly.

I wrap my burner in aluminum foil (wind screen). Not sure if it helps, but it might.

Be on the ready for a boil over!

windscreen.jpg

If your using a keggel, make sure the keg will fit on the stand. They have some stands that are wider than others.

If your using a keggel, make sure the keg will fit on the stand. They have some stands that are wider than others.

I know it's a pain and an extra 10 bucks, but I've found a nice sturdy smallish grill grate at HD that fits on top of those bayou units that are too small for a keggle. It's a work-around anyway.

Once the wort hits a boil, I generally turn my burner down as far as I can while keeping the boil going. I'm somewhat new to home brewing, but I've read one of the most common mistakes is home brewers having way to intense of a boil and having tons of boil-off. You just need a nice rolling boil, nothing crazy.

This is 100% true.

I only use my burrner for the boil. I have a gas stove so I use the stove to heat up my mash and sparge water.

This will make brewing beer much faster than using an electric. i remember those days.

Last weekend I used my sq14 for the first time adter getting it on amazon for like 44. Worked great for the boil. Like othersi use it for the boil and use my gas stove for strike etc.

Latest posts

Back