This is a recipe that I originally formulated as a clone of Founders Double Trouble. In my opinion it is similar but superior. It's a really nice high alcohol Double IPA with hints of passion fruit, grapefruit, and a great tongue coating lupin threshold breaking bitterness.
This is the first original recipe I have posted here, taking into account every detail I have acquired by reading about double IPAs created by masters like Vinny at Russian River. I hope you like it!
13 lbs - 2 row
8 oz - Munich Malt
8 oz - Carapils Malt
4 oz - Crystal 40
2 lbs - Corn Sugar (boil)
0.5 oz - Summit @ FWH ~90
3.5 oz - Summit @60
0.5 oz - Amarillo @30
0.5 oz - Amarillo @15
0.5 oz - Simcoe @15
1.0 oz - Amarillo @5
0.5 oz - Simcoe @5
Dry Hop 1 (7 days):
2.5 oz - Simcoe
1.5 oz - Amarillo
Dry Hope 2 (5 days):
0.5 oz - Simcoe
0.5 oz - Amarillo
2 packets of S-05 directly pitched
Adjusted to Pale Ale profile. For Fairfax Co. Va water I added: Gypsum 5g (mash/sparge), Epsom Salt 2g (mash/sparge), Calcium Chloride 1g (mash/sparge), Chalk 0.4g (mash only).
Mash at 148-150F
Add corn sugar to the boil
66-68F until your gravity stops dropping (1.008 for me)
This is what I did; I'm just putting here for clarity, obviously a lot of this is a personal preference.
I was super anal about keeping the beer under a CO2 blanket and avoiding exposure to oxygen. I think it is apparent in the resulting beer.
To get the gravity low kick yeast up by swirling whenever possible as primary begins to die down (keep your fermenter sealed, the CO2 inside will prevent oxidization). I bumped the temp up into the 70s on the last day or two for a final push.
Purge secondary carboy and lines with co2 before transfer.
Dry hop in secondary at 68F, adding hops to the top of the carboy after transferring the beer. When adding the second dry hop, first stir the original dry hops into suspension to get some extra dry hopping and create a nice CO2 layer on top.
Dry hop day 10 begin to drop temp to 60F for clarity and to drop the hops out. Dry hop day 12 purge siphon and keg with c02 before transfer. I noticed that moving the carboy caused some extra CO2 to bubble out of the airlock (the more the merrier, they say).
Latest batch should be carbed in a week or two and I will edit with a pic.
Edit: Included photo.