Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegged beer has off taste

Old 10-24-2007, 02:41 AM   #1
jfrizzell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Kegged beer has off taste

I brewed a batch of a Fat Tire clone and it tasted great going from primary to secondary and from secondary to keg. After a little over a week in the keg at 12 psi, I dispensed a glass and it tastes weird. It has a very strange off taste. Any ideas what could be causing this? These were soda kegs and I didn't replace the o-rings, but it was my understanding that was only necessary if it was a root beer keg. I've since replaced the lid gasket and post o-rings but the taste is still there (I don't have any spare dip tube o-rings or poppets). The beer line is new. I didn't flush beer line with anything before I started using it - should I have?

I did bleed the pressure and open the keg and using a sanitized measuring cup, take a sample directly out of the keg and it doesn't seem to have the same taste.

Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2007, 02:44 AM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Sounds like something wrong in the output portion of the process. I'd guess it's probably not in the dip-tube since the kegged beer itself tastes good. If you didn't clean and sanitize your line and faucet I'd think that would be the first place to look.

I clean and sanitize my kegs and dispensing equipment like any other piece of my post-boil gear, you just don't want to take the chance on fouling up all that hard work.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 10-28-2007, 02:09 AM   #3
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Ok, I've sanitized everything on the dispensing side with Starsan - ran some Starsan through the line and let it sit for a while. Hooked everything back up again and it tastes fine. A day later, the first pour has that same funny taste. I dump that out and pour another glass and it tastes fine. So, it seems like as the beer sits in the line for a while, it picks up a weird taste - sort of a syrupy stale taste.

So, why is my beer picking up this taste as it sits in the line? The line and the picnic tap are in the fridge so it's not getting warm. Everything is new. Thoughts?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:15 AM   #4
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I think at this point if it were me I would replace the poppet valve and the o-rings on the post and dip tube. A syrup flavour sounds like pop residue to me. Maybe someone else will have another suggestion.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 10-28-2007, 03:18 AM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 709 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
I think at this point if it were me I would replace the poppet valve and the o-rings on the post and dip tube. A syrup flavour sounds like pop residue to me. Maybe someone else will have another suggestion.
Agreed. IF you did not pull everythig apart and thoroughly clean and rinse, there's a good chance you have sme stale soda syrup running off into your beer.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:37 AM   #6
jfrizzell
Recipes 

I took everything apart and cleaned (soaked in Oxyclean for a day) and sanitized (soaked in Starsan) before I filled the keg.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:42 AM   #7
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
+1...this is absolutely what I would do.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 10-28-2007, 05:25 AM   #8
KBrew75
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What type of line are you using? I use bottles so I don't know a lot about dispensing from a keg but I've had a simiar problem with a sink faucet.

I had one of those faucets that have the pull out sprayer built in. When the water sat in there overnight, something in the tubing would leach into the water giving it a bad off taste.

If your beer line isn't FDA rated, odorless and tasteless, that could be the problem.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:31 AM   #9
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

couple things

if you force carb it can take a few days for the acidic taste to fade
clean your taps, lines, and connectors

plus the taste will change almost day to day as it ages. just give it some more time and try it again. If the carbonation level is where you want it, disconnect for a couple days then try again

Old 10-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Well, it's been in the keg almost 3 weeks so I'm not sure it's an age thing. Plus, the fact that it's just the first pour that tastes bad makes me thing it's picking something up in the beer line.

The beer line is 3/16" beverage line so it shouldn't be contributing any off flavors.

I'm down to replacing the dip tube gaskets and the poppets. The lid gasket and post gaskets have been replaced and everything has been thoroughly sanitized.