American Amber Ale Aussie Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travestian

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Malty and smooth with just a hint of sweetness at the end.
Malts:
9.00 lbs Pale Malt 2 Row
1.25 lbs Amber Malt
0.50 lbs Caravienne Malt
0.50 lbs Caramunich Malt
0.50 lbs Crystal 60L

Hops:
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin 60 min
0.25 oz Nelson Sauvin 10 min
0.50 oz Zythos 10 min
0.50 oz Summer 5 min

This is my first recipe. It started as a recipe for a friend who LOVES Fat Tire. I wanted to try the different hops in this recipe to see how they did. I'm thoroughly happy with the results. My buddy says he actually likes it BETTER than Fat Tire so I think I did something right. The name came from him based on the Australian hops in the beer.

The beer pours with a thin yet creamy and lasting head full of tiny bubbles. Lacing is intense. Taste is a solid amber malt with a nice sweetness at the end. I hope you enjoy!

The extract version (according to BeerSmith) is below:
8 Lbs 3.4 oz Pale Liquid Extract
5 oz Crystal 60L
5 oz Caramunich
5 oz Caravienne
12.6 oz Crystal 20L

I made this last night. Looks really good, guess we'll see how it turns out! :)

I assume you used Summitt hops? I had never heard of Summer and neither had the guys at LHBS

No they are indeed Summer hops. I found them at Austin Homebrew Supply here. They are an Australian hop as is the Nelson Sauvin hence the name Aussie Amber. The flavors aren't too terribly different from each other in the citrus aspect but the AA range is quite different. I'm curious to see how your beer turned out.

I used Bear-flavored's hop guide here to develop this recipe with some fruit forward hops. I will definitely be doing this beer again but I might try and do half with some extra hops in it towards the end to experiment with the flavor a bit.

Interesting. Well it's too late now, so we'll see how it goes! ;)

And my Nelson was from New Zealand. I'm still going to call it an Aussie Amber, just don't tell anyone.

New Zealand might as well be Aussieland as far as I care. (puts umbrella over hand for the storm coming from natives) It's at least in the same neighborhood.

Well it's been in the keg for almost a week, and is nearly carbed. I need to serve on Friday of next week, so we're in good shape.

Tastes GOOD though. I really like the roasted flavors I get from it. I'll have to buy a Fat Tire and try it side by side. But if you like Fat Tire, I think you'd like this one

Well it's been in the keg for almost a week, and is nearly carbed. I need to serve on Friday of next week, so we're in good shape.

Tastes GOOD though. I really like the roasted flavors I get from it. I'll have to buy a Fat Tire and try it side by side. But if you like Fat Tire, I think you'd like this one

Thanks for the kind words. How did the Summit shine through vice using Summer?

Thanks for the kind words. How did the Summit shine through vice using Summer?

I don't know. I'll have to make a batch with the Summer and see! :D

It is hoppy, but not over the top. I want to give it a few more days and see how it goes.

Thanks for the recipe again though :mug:

Well this went over quite well at the shin-dig. A load of BMC drinkers killed the keg halfway through the night.

Going to add this to my rotation for sure!

I had hid one of these from myself and had it just the other night after 4.5 months from brew day. It was just as good if not better than all the rest of them I consumed within the first 4 weeks. I'm looking at when I will be rotating this one back in. It will be my first brew to do again. I made sure to keep enough hops around that all I'll need to do is buy the grain bill. I'm thinking it will be sooner than later.

Nick thanks for your kind words. Perhaps I'll try it with Summit vice Summer hops this time :)

Back