Well, went to make a batch of Cream Stout. Used a can of Stout extract along with 2lb of dark DME and a lb of light DME. Here's the fun part. I was sposed to use Crystal malt, Cara Pils, Choco Malt and Roasted Barley for my crushed grains. After putting everything in my grain bag, I started getting my water ready and then noticed some movement. Bugs in my Cara Pils! NOOOOOOOOO!
Well, tossed that blended batch and went to start over. I had enough barley and crystal, but no choco, and I was out of pils malt. So I improvised and experimented. Instead of the Cara-pils, I used Cara-Hells. And since I was experimenting, I bumped it from 1/2 lb to 3/4. Did a full boil and at the end got another wild hair and added a cup of unsweetened cocoa.
Some fuggles and cascade hops were used and I prayed for the best.
Actually almost hit my orig grav. Was sposed to be 1.018 and hit 1.020. Of course without the choco malt, it isn't as dark as it should be, it's actually a muddy brown. But after a week in the keg, I had to give it a try (cause I'm impatient too) and damn if it isn't pretty good!
Almost like a choco milk. A few more weeks of conditioning and this should turn out ok!
Just wanted to share my experience. When all else fails, relax and have a brew!