Bugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delarob

Reaction score
Well, went to make a batch of Cream Stout. Used a can of Stout extract along with 2lb of dark DME and a lb of light DME. Here's the fun part. I was sposed to use Crystal malt, Cara Pils, Choco Malt and Roasted Barley for my crushed grains. After putting everything in my grain bag, I started getting my water ready and then noticed some movement. Bugs in my Cara Pils! NOOOOOOOOO!

Well, tossed that blended batch and went to start over. I had enough barley and crystal, but no choco, and I was out of pils malt. So I improvised and experimented. Instead of the Cara-pils, I used Cara-Hells. And since I was experimenting, I bumped it from 1/2 lb to 3/4. Did a full boil and at the end got another wild hair and added a cup of unsweetened cocoa.

Some fuggles and cascade hops were used and I prayed for the best.

Actually almost hit my orig grav. Was sposed to be 1.018 and hit 1.020. Of course without the choco malt, it isn't as dark as it should be, it's actually a muddy brown. But after a week in the keg, I had to give it a try (cause I'm impatient too) and damn if it isn't pretty good! :eek: Almost like a choco milk. A few more weeks of conditioning and this should turn out ok!

Just wanted to share my experience. When all else fails, relax and have a brew!

Hum...... that is so random it is probley going to turn out to be solid gold. How cool and forgiving is the sacred art of brewing!!! You couldn't stuff it up more if you tried and yet you still end up with necture of the gods!!!! Well done keep us posted on the final result. Better still, if it is that good post your recipie.

Brewing is like cooking, its an art form. You don’t have to be precise with it. Just work with what you have and it will probably turn out ok. And sometimes you hit a great one. Good luck to you.

I was buying my grains at the LHBS recently and found that they had just put chunks of dry ice in all of the grain bins and barrels. I asked about it and was told that that was their method of insect control. The dry ice killed the bugs in the grain by suffocating them with CO2. The bugs can never be eliminated completely, try as we might. All we can hope to do is to keep them under control.

We may not like to think about it, but virtually everything we eat or drink is allowed by FDA standards to be contaminated with insects to some extent.

Like most other issues, RDWHAHB.

:D My buddy says it would have added protien. Little does he know I almost brewed it for him. LOL

He's always coming over and 'helping' drain my kegs. I just couldn't bring myself to make his special batch.

If that skeeves you I won't mention that the majority of the cell count in your body is not "you". I saw a count one time that was;

9^9 is your own human cells
9^10 is all the other various flora

A few bugs won't hurt nothing.

Back