Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Mead Recipe??

Old 12-12-2005, 09:19 PM   #1
JOHN51277
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Default Mead Recipe??

I HAVE BEEN MAKING BEER FOR ABOUT 4-5 MOS NOW, ON MY 7TH BATCH. i WAS READING ABOUT MEADS AND THE RECIPES. WHAT DO THEY TASTE LIKE?? IS IT JUST HONEY WATER AND YEAST, I WOULD LOVE TO TRY AND MAKE ONE, MY FRIENDS DAD HAS ALOT OF LAND HE KEEPS BEES ON, WHICH ARE AROUND ORANGE TREES. I THINK I HAVE THE UNDERSTANDING TO MAKE IT. JUST TAKE ABOUT 8-9 LBS OF HONEY, MAYBE SOME SUGAR, MAYBE NOT. AND IF I WANT TO ADD SOME FRUIT IN THE PRIMARY OR SECONDARY. WHAT TYPE OF YEAST IS RECCOMENDED, CHAMPAGNE, OR BEER. I LOVE TO TRY NEW THINGS LIKE THIS. WOULD LOVE TO START ON ONE SOON. HELP A BROTHER OUT.

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 12-13-2005, 01:19 AM   #2
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Study up on this before you try a batch. It's not like brewing beer.

You will need between 12 and 18 pounds of honey to make a 5 gallon batch depending on what style you are trying to make. You must use yeast nutrients when making mead or you will have stuck fermentations and you need to use a starter to avoid stuck fermentations. It can take a year before it's ready to drink.

Study up and then do one with full understanding of what you're doing or you'll be dissapointed.

Do a search for the mead wench and start reading there, you'll learn a lot.

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 12-13-2005, 03:31 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

ScottT is right about studying up on the subject.

Mead is not difficult to make. The MOST difficult thing about mead is PATIENCE!!! Mead takes a long time to mature. When you bottle beer you should wait 1-2 weeks to check on conditioning. With mead that 1 week could be 6 MONTHS!

If you are not a patient person then I would HIGHLY recommend bottling some in pony or small bottles if you can get them. This way you can sample those throughout the year. Whatever you do . . . try NOT to sample the mead too early. In a year or two you will be very surprised and happy that you waited. I still have several bottles of mead that's over 10 years old.

The amount of alcohol content depends on the amount of honey you use. Right now I have a peach mead that's been in the secondary for a couple of months already. If you make a mead with fruit it is called a melomel.

I used only 7 lbs (about 3/4 of a gal) of honey for this batch. The low amount of honey means that it will not be strong. I've used 12 lbs (plus) before, and was pleased with the results, but a lot of people don't like high alcohol content beverages so I've reduced the amount for them.

A mead is made with honey, water, an acid blend (or some other acid ingredient) for stability, and yeast. There are several yeasts to use. If you want a sweet mead, there's a yeast for that. If you want a dry mead, there's a yeast for that. Whichever you use be sure to make a starter. I cannot emphasize that enough.

Don't boil you honey any longer than 15 mins. Some people only do it for 5 mins. In any case be sure to skim the protein slime/scum off of the top while it's boiling.

You do not add any sugar to mead.... honey is all you need.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:22 AM   #4
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, I do have lots of patience and lots of bottles here. I just dont know what type of honey, or fruit i want to go with. I will definately go with the sweet mead yeast though. Thanks again

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
BootYtRappeR

Recipes 

JOHN51277, you might want to check out this link

Great Mead Experiment
Drinking:
Up Next:

Old 12-14-2005, 03:11 AM   #6
DarkStar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Exerything about making different types of mead is at the link good place to get to know things before you start out.

Mead Forum