Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Saflager 34/70

Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Saflager 34/70

Hey all. Quick question regarding Saflager 34/70. I had a recipe kit that I had ordered a couple months ago, a Noble Pils. Long story short, time got away from me and I didn't get it brewed as quickly as I thought I could. The liquid yeast that came with it was past the 6 month mark, and instead of making a huge starter, I bought a couple packs of Saflager 34/70. I read through several threads regarding 34/70, and rehydrating dry lager yeast. I'm hoping someone can critique my process, which I developed after reading several threads.

Boiled 200 ml water in a flask, to sanitize. Allowed to cool to about 70℉. Dumped both packets of yeast into the flask, let it set for about 15 minutes. Then swirled the mixture for about 10-15 minutes, then every couple of minutes for the next 20 minutes. I wasn't able to cool my wort down to a good pitchable temp, so I placed both the rehydrated yeast, and the wort in the fermentation cooler and set the temp to 45℉. I plan on pitching tomorrow morning, assuming the wort has dropped to 45℉, and then bringing temp up to 53℉. Does this sound ok?

One thing I noticed when I went to "check things out" a while ago... There's a layer of foam on top of the yeast. Almost like a krausen. Is that normal? I would expect that if I had made a starter, but I didn't, just water and yeast. Thanks in advance for any advice!

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 08-05-2013, 04:59 AM   #2
Freedomfan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used 34/70 in my my last lager and I wouldn't recommend chilling your wort all the way down to 45 degrees. 50 is about as low as I would go since this yeast is a slow starter, for me anyways. Your re-hydration technique looks good and I don't see any issues with storing it in your ferm chamber other than the temp. I think you'll like the 34/70. I found it to be very simliar to WLP830. Once it kicked off I reached termal gravity in 18 days at 52 degrees. I did a diacetyl rest but it really wasn't necessary with this yeast.

Tap 3: CREAM ALE
Tap 4 NITRO: STOUT

Old 08-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomfan View Post
I used 34/70 in my my last lager and I wouldn't recommend chilling your wort all the way down to 45 degrees. 50 is about as low as I would go since this yeast is a slow starter, for me anyways. Your re-hydration technique looks good and I don't see any issues with storing it in your ferm chamber other than the temp. I think you'll like the 34/70. I found it to be very simliar to WLP830. Once it kicked off I reached termal gravity in 18 days at 52 degrees. I did a diacetyl rest but it really wasn't necessary with this yeast.
Thanks for the reply! I plan on jumping the temp up to 53 in the morning. If its at 45 when I wake up, which I'm sure it will be, if not already, should I ramp it up before pitching? Or should I go ahead and pitch and just expect a slow start?

Old 08-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
Freedomfan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I like to give my lager yeast a strong start so I always try and start towards the middle of the optimum temp range. Even after hydrating it will take awhile to get going at a nominal temp. You could try and pitch at 45 then warm it up to 53 but I would be worried about too long of a lag time. YMMV. In any event make sure you aerate extremely well and make sure your sanitization is good and the long lag time won't be a big deal.

One last thing. Don't worry about the layer of foam on the yeast, it's normal.
Tap 3: CREAM ALE
Tap 4 NITRO: STOUT

Old 08-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomfan View Post
I like to give my lager yeast a strong start so I always try and start towards the middle of the optimum temp range. Even after hydrating it will take awhile to get going at a nominal temp. You could try and pitch at 45 then warm it up to 53 but I would be worried about too long of a lag time. YMMV. In any event make sure you aerate extremely well and make sure your sanitization is good and the long lag time won't be a big deal.

One last thing. Don't worry about the layer of foam on the yeast, it's normal.
Great! Thanks for the info!!

Old 08-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
TrustyOlJohnson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 130 Posts

Your tecnique looks good. I hydrated 2 packs in a similiar way and pitched into a 48 degree all grain Schwarzbier. I really enjoyed the results!!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #7
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Your plan/process sounds good, but personally I'd keep it a few degrees colder. I've never had much of a lag time with W34/70 and I always pitch around 45F and hold around 48F, without rehydrating. Generaly hit FG within a week. Great yeast!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #8
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
Your plan/process sounds good, but personally I'd keep it a few degrees colder. I've never had much of a lag time with W34/70 and I always pitch around 45F and hold around 48F, without rehydrating. Generaly hit FG within a week. Great yeast!
The two I've done with Saflager 34/70 were pitched at 43 and 45 and let to free rise, fermented at 49, and both took off within 48 hours and fermented strong to the expected FG.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, I pitched earlier and set the temp on the ferm chamber to 53℉. I would guess in about 24 hrs, it'll be up to that. I went with 53℉ because Fermentis states that that is the optimal temp. Guess we'll see how it goes!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
Kiichi
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I read in another thread citing something scientific which I do not quite recall that you should actually rehydrate the yeast at about 100 degrees (+-5 I think) to get optimal revitaliastion. At that temp you are supposed to get best rebuilding of the walls.
Sounded all very plausible and was supported by other people.

I certainly will try that with my next brew.