Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Help Choosing a Smoker for a Newbie

Old 08-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #31
worthogg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrupled View Post
Great feedback, thanks.

I began considering the UDS before starting the thread, but the footprint on a 55 gallon drum isn't small and it'd force a big rearrangement of garage stuff - also it'd be a big challenge to effectively use that since its got so much cooking space.
What's the footprint on the WSM? I'm not familiar with those smokers, but the grill that goes in a UDS is the same one out of the 22" Weber. Which means the drum is about 24" diameter I guess. I've got only one rack in mine and I don't feel like it's a lot of room at all. In fact, I'm considering adding another rack below the current one for more capacity. We're a family of three and most of the time it's plenty of room. But occasionally for a party or event where you want to do ribs, you'll want more room. Two big pork butts will feed a lot of people, and you'd be stuffing the drum pretty full to get two 9 or 10 pounders in there without touching the sides.
The great thing about the UDS is that it works equally as well if I put on one chicken, or a big brisket. Same fuel usage and stays super moist every time. That's my two cents.

Quadrupled Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 03:14 AM   #32
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4418 Times on 2675 Posts
Likes Given: 3766

I've got a WSM and it's a great smoker. Check out http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ for loads of good info.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #33
morticus
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 53 Posts

I have a Bradley smoker that works awesome. I also have a traeger, but those are pretty expensive. I have the big one and it was $900. I spent $300 on the Bradley.
Quadrupled Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 03:29 AM   #34
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 565 Times on 400 Posts
Likes Given: 482

I've had 4 different smokers over the years and have went to WSM the last few years - it is awesome.... If I ever needed another smoker, I would buy another WSM.
Primary: Dark Mild, Helles
Secondary/Lagering: Alt, Scottish 70, Dortmunder, Bo-Pils
Future Brews: Heady Topper Clone, Session IPA, Hop Fu, Porter, Plain ol American Ale More...... More....... Beer.......
Quadrupled Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 03:38 AM   #35
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thank you Quadrupled for asking the question and thank you HBTers for once again bringing the experienced opinions!

I was spoiled by my FILs heavy duty offset and have been gimping along with my Brinkman Smoke n Grill since moving to CO. It sounds like the WSM is a much better unit but I dont like getting down on my knees to add wood through the little hatch or stoke up the coals. I really like offsets but I can't afford a really nice heavy one and I don't think I'll be happy with the light metal on the Charbroil offerings.

Any suggestions on a decent offset in the price range of the WSM?
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale
Quadrupled Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #36
gunsout
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthogg View Post
What's the footprint on the WSM? I'm not familiar with those smokers, but the grill that goes in a UDS is the same one out of the 22" Weber. Which means the drum is about 24" diameter I guess. I've got only one rack in mine and I don't feel like it's a lot of room at all. In fact, I'm considering adding another rack below the current one for more capacity. We're a family of three and most of the time it's plenty of room. But occasionally for a party or event where you want to do ribs, you'll want more room. Two big pork butts will feed a lot of people, and you'd be stuffing the drum pretty full to get two 9 or 10 pounders in there without touching the sides.
The great thing about the UDS is that it works equally as well if I put on one chicken, or a big brisket. Same fuel usage and stays super moist every time. That's my two cents.
yeah the UDS uses the grill surface from the largest one touch grill which is 22.5" diameter which puts the drum diameter around 24". all the drums are different sizes but some allow you to use the lid off of the largest weber with no fitament problems. they do take up a good amount of space. but cost, fuel use and quality of chow is stellar. people have added 2nd racks to their UDS with no problems. 2 10lb boston butts is a lot of meat and it would be tight. this is the site i used to build mine. http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/...-part-1-a.html the only difference in this one and mine is i mounted the thermometer just below the grill rack to get the temp of my cooking surface. i actually built one for me and one for the in laws camp. they use it all the time and love it. they want mine if i go to a BGE

additionally no matter what smoker you are using mostly if its basket type you should google minion method for starting your fire. you use way less coal and sustain the fire for a much greater period of time.
Quadrupled Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #37
Quadrupled
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthogg View Post
Well, my recollection of the drum dimensions was completely wrong ~ 3.5' tall x 2.5' diameter. Although its still larger than the 18.5" WSM that I'm considering.

I'm really beginning to lean pretty hard toward the WSM. Maybe I'll eventually desire more space with the two-racked UDS, but time will tell.

Thanks to everybody for the input!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #38
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1160 Times on 770 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Random thought here, but Know what else is fun with the two-rack 18.5 WSM? Hanging sausages under the top grate for smoked sausages.

These are just linked Polish sausages hanging from some all-stainless steel hooks I got from McMaster-Carr.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1077736833.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	140043  
People Like This 
Old 08-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #39
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4418 Times on 2675 Posts
Likes Given: 3766

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Random thought here, but Know what else is fun with the two-rack 18.5 WSM? Hanging sausages under the top grate for smoked sausages.

These are just linked Polish sausages hanging from some all-stainless steel hooks I got from McMaster-Carr.
Love it!

Old 08-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #40
Quadrupled
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

I love HBT and all the awesomeness everyone brings to the forums.