Metal taste in brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gottbrew

Reaction score
I'm a fairly new brewer and I am making a transition into all-grain brewing. I've made 2 batches so far which have turned out great however, I've noticed a metal taste in the beer that I cannot pinpoint where it could be coming from. I'm using star-San and letting it dry. Stainless boiling pot and a homemade mass tun with a stainless filter. Where could I be going wrong? Thanks.

How are you chilling? Are all the fittings and washers on the mash tun stainless? How about water? Is it coming from your water heater in your house?

In using distilled water and am using a copper coil wort chiller. All parts in mash tun are stainless. It's driving me CRAZY!!

I've tried the link several times on a few computers and cannot get it to load up for me. Don't know if it is my web browser or what. I'll keep trying and hopefully I can get something. Thank you everyone for trying to offer some insight and help me out.

I've tried the link several times on a few computers and cannot get it to load up for me. Don't know if it is my web browser or what. I'll keep trying and hopefully I can get something. Thank you everyone for trying to offer some insight and help me out.

I forgot to take out the extra http:// that time,my bad. Fixed it.

I had a similar issue with my first batch, and I still haven't found the source. The strangest thing was, it wasn't detectable in all the bottles, and it was strong in a couple, while with the majority had no issue, and it was detectable in others still, though I wouldn't notice it at all if I let the beer sit for a minute after pouring. I do no if I had the smell/taste wrong, but it tasted almost like aluminum to me.

Are you bottling of kegging? I've had certain bottle caps impart a metal taste. Especially if I spray them with starsan and don't use them until next time.

Do you keg/force carbonate or bottle?

I've sometimes gotten a metallic (carbonic) bite from my beers during/just after force carbonation, but it usually disappears after about a week.

This is all very interesting to me. I guess I didn't know there could be so many variables. I am boiling in a aluminum pot. And like someone else said it isn't in all the bottles. I also didn't know you shouldn't use distilled water. What should you use instead? I'm on a well.

This is all very interesting to me. I guess I didn't know there could be so many variables. I am boiling in a aluminum pot. And like someone else said it isn't in all the bottles. I also didn't know you shouldn't use distilled water. What should you use instead? I'm on a well.

Distilled water is fine. You can add a teaspoon of calcium chloride to it to get enough calcium, but even without it, it's ok. Check out the "water primer" in the brew science forum for more details.

Aluminum pots are ok, but I'd boil water in it first to the level of the wort (or a bit higher) to make sure it has an oxidized layer on it and then don't scrub that layer off when you clean it.

I had it on my last brew but I got rid of it by changing a couple things:

-I controlled my ferm temp to between 60-68 degrees

-I cleaned everything with straight A from kettles to keg, before this I used dish soap or nothing at all and just sanitized (I didnt know any better)

I am convinced that the metal taste I got came from my keg, I was in a pinch and bought a used keg at the LHBS. I took the guys word for it when he told me it was clean, so I just sanitized it and racked the beer into it.

I will say that the straight A got my kettles nice and clean and could have helped to. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

Back