Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > SS 1/2" NPT needle valves?

Old 08-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1716 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm in the process of putting together an eBrewery (based on the BCS) with automated ball valves. However, I'd like to use needle valves on all 3 pump outlets to be able to precisely control flow rates, and I'm willing to make an exception for these 3 valves and allow them to be actual manual valves (though if there's an automatic valve that can be partially opened in dozens of positions by a BCS unit, I'd certainly consider it for the right price).

Problem is, I can't find a good source for such a valve, so I'm turning to the fine people of this here community to hopefully point me in some meaningful direction, hopefully at a reasonable price.

What say ye?

Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
bruin_ale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Someone just sent me a link to some valves, and I thought a needle valve for my pump outlet might be cool. Searched on homebrewtalk for needle valves and came up with your query.

Here's the link I found:
http://www.directmaterial.com/Stainl...SI_p/dcvns.htm

Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
uraburr
Recipes 

Default here is another option

Those look like a bit of an overkill and a bit pricey. How about these:

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/nv1...urner_part.htm

Old 09-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

Well.. that's 1/4" and brass, but yeah - something like that. Those prices are actually really good, $40 for a stainless 1/2" needle valve is half to 1/3 of what the cost on Mcmaster would be.
That said, I've heard of people using gate valves on pump outlets and they were plenty happy. 1/2" brass gate valve at the hardware store would be much cheaper - just not as stainless steel blingy..

Old 09-16-2013, 04:38 AM   #5
DRog00
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it, honestly. After you get used to ball valves, you can adjust your flow with small adjustments. My system has a 3qt gravity fed grant that the pump pulls from. I can adjust the flow on the output of the pump with ease to keep the levels even enough to walk away for 5-10 minutes. I always check it, but I rarely have to slow the mash tun down. More often than not I have slow down the pump because the grain bed begins to compact. YMMV

Old 09-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #6
JonesSoda6
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I used a ball valve followed by a gate valve for quick shut off and then dialing it in. $12 for the pair.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I just got one of these Pure-flo Sanitary Diaphragm valves from ITT on ebay for controlling my flow rate out of my mash into my kettle during sparging.I got a 1" valve and it fits on my 1-1/2" Triclamp ferules, it was like $35+ shipping, all the 1-1/2" valves where much more expensive. I have not had a chance to brew with it but I did test it out and it was very good at controlling my flow rate. With my ball valves the best I can do is get somewhere between 1.5-2L/min. With the Diaphragm valve I was able to get it down to less than 1L/min. The diaphragm is silicon, so it rated well above 212F.

I think with a needle valve you might have issues with husks clogging the valve.