single temp or multi-rest mash - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > single temp or multi-rest mash

Old 10-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
miatawnt2b
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Steelers Country
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just curious if you use/think multi rest mashing is absolutely necessary? The multi rest method seems like a real pain with the cooler style mash tun, and I was wondering if the benefits of a multi rest mash really outweigh the hassles.

thanks,
-J

Old 10-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 528 Times on 424 Posts

Depends on the beer. The only multi-step mashes I have done have been when I've done decoctions. Acid and protein rests are nice for hefeweizens, and I did a protein rest with the bock. For 98% of recipes with today's highly modified malts, they're unneccessary.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
...For 98% of recipes with today's highly modified malts, they're unneccessary...
That's why I avoid that other 2%.

My only recipe that would use it because of ingredients, is my blue-balls belgian.

But then again...it's a wheat beer so no need.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

Baron got me hooked on the acid rest for a hefe; the batch I made had a real nice tartness as a result. Not too much, just right.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 10-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 338 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Baron got me hooked on the acid rest for a hefe; the batch I made had a real nice tartness as a result. Not too much, just right.
Hmm, I may have to try that next time. What's your process?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
denimglen

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Auckland, New Zealand
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

On a related note, are they really necessary for lagers? I've been reading through recipes in BYO's clone mag and a lot use a multi-rest.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
jbreiding
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Orlando
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

multi rest not necessary? i really depends on what you want to achieve. i personally subscribe to palmers schedule of 40,60,70. although i tend to fluctuate the last 2 by a few degrees.

i guess its not necessary if you really dont want to experiment with flavor and abv.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreiding
i guess its not necessary if you really dont want to experiment with flavor and abv.
I'm not sure I would agree with that particular sentiment... what kinds of malts are you using? If you're malt is highly modified and you're doing a protein rest, you're risking killing your body and head retention. I listen to Jamil pretty regularly, he's a pretty strong advocate of single-infusion for almost all beer styles, and there are certainly plenty of other variables to work with.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:46 PM   #9
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Addison,TX
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I like to do multi step on some beers. Kind of adds something to the brew day. I will say the beers I have done decoctions on have been my best beers. Might be other factors, I really don't know.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #10
mr x
Recipes 

May 2007
Mainly Halifax
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatawnt2b
Just curious if you use/think multi rest mashing is absolutely necessary? The multi rest method seems like a real pain with the cooler style mash tun, and I was wondering if the benefits of a multi rest mash really outweigh the hassles.

thanks,
-J
I just did a wheat from the BYO clone issue that had three temp rests plus a mash out. Check into the steam heated mlt thread. Was pretty easy to do with the steam.