Smoked Berliner Weisse - No Boil - BOS - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Sours & Wilds Recipes > Smoked Berliner Weisse - No Boil - BOS

Old 01-22-2014, 12:53 AM   #11
nimboden
Recipes 

Apr 2013
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Just brewed today. Excited to see how this turns out. Didn't have enough flaked wheat so used 1lbs flaked rye.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:13 AM   #12
robmartin113
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know flaked wheat and white wheat are different but I have a TON of white wheat laying around. Think it would still turn out alright if I substitute for one another?
Keg 2 - Java Porter BOS Inaugural Bean Brew Challenge
Keg 3 - Air

Old 03-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #13
Bradthoc
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Las Vegas, NV

Brewed this up using just a .5lb of Simpsons smoked malt and WLP011/Wyeast 5335lacto. Came out with much more smoke than I anticipated. Halved it because I was brewing this up for my daughter's birthday party; something the adults could enjoy. While everyone enjoyed it, the smoke was a bit too prominent, and kept everyone at two beers. I enjoy a smoked beer, but I'd almost consider doing just .25lb next time of the smoked malt. Just my preference though, with this style. Thanks for the recipe! It was definitely a hit, and look forward to drinking through the final 20, or so bottles to see how they hold up.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew
Currently Bottled: Comfort and Joy (2012), Tervuren Whiskey Oaked Russian Imperial Stout, Belgian Strong Dark Ale, Cuvée de Bay Strawberry Sour, Crush a Cup of Wine Saison (Sauvignon Blanc), Petite deJeuner Belgian Dubbel Breakfast, Bubba's Milky Nut Butter Stout
On-Deck: Quatrieme Quad, Hefeweizen

Old 07-01-2014, 05:36 AM   #14
RussPDX
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Mar 2014
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

@bradthoc I think that you will find that the type and age of your smoke malt will have a big effect on the qty needed. You might have to play it by ear depending on the main Nd what you are trying to get out of it.

I am curious. Did you find that the smoke faded at all in those last 20 bottles?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Tap 1: Piny The Middle Aged (Spruce Tip Ale)
Tap 2: Oatness (Oatmeal Stout)
Tap 3: Rauche Me Baby (Rauchbier - NHC Medal Recipe)

Old 07-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #15
mysteryshrimp
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Acworth, Georgia
Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts

Never had Simpson's Smoked Malt, but I know that the Briess is way more smokey than Weyermann.

I can tell you that the smoke faded slightly over the year or so that I kept some bottles of this.
BJCP ID: F0785, Certified Judge

Old 07-03-2014, 01:18 AM   #16
Bradthoc
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussPDX View Post
I am curious. Did you find that the smoke faded at all in those last 20 bottles?

No. I was kinda hoping it would, but it didn't. All gone now though, except for one I'll try at a year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
Currently Bottled: Comfort and Joy (2012), Tervuren Whiskey Oaked Russian Imperial Stout, Belgian Strong Dark Ale, Cuvée de Bay Strawberry Sour, Crush a Cup of Wine Saison (Sauvignon Blanc), Petite deJeuner Belgian Dubbel Breakfast, Bubba's Milky Nut Butter Stout
On-Deck: Quatrieme Quad, Hefeweizen

Old 05-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #17
biertourist
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Woodinville, WA
Liked 124 Times on 93 Posts

The only Simpson's smoked malt I know is peat smoked which is INSANELY potent stuff.

What makes a "smoked Berliner weiss" different from a Gratzer / Grodziskie or even a Lichtenhainer?

Gratzer/ Grodiziskie uses oak smoke, so that may be a difference. I've only managed to find one German Lichtenhainer and it's a modern recreation but it was only mildly sour and only mildly smoky -more of a rauch malt smoke than an oak smoke. -It was actually an incredibly easy drinking summer beer -lightly tart and lightly smokey -I could easily drink a few liters of it and I'd never say that about really any other lactic soured or smoked beer.

If the Lichtenhainer I tried was an actual reflection of the style then it's just a beer that's held in perfect balance -the acidity brightens the smoke and the smoke makes the beer more substantial -it fills out the "middle section", if you will -kind of like how Munich malt fills in the middle section in a pure basemalt beer but obviously the smoke allows you to keep the finishing gravity very low. ---I struggle with words to describe it and this as close as I can get.

There may well be room for a properly lactic sour beer like a Berliner that contains the mild rauch malt smoke that wouldn't techically be a Gratzer or a Lichtenhainer and may well best be called a "smoked Berliner" but these styles rapidly get very close together.

Adam

Old 07-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #18
tellyho
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Braintree, MA
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Brewed this with the original grain bill, and am finding it not excessively smokey. Used acidulated malt in carboy instead of pure lacto culture and happy with sourness.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #19
tellyho
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Braintree, MA

Though I have to say, my wife described it as drinking an ashtray. But, then again, she doesn't like beer to begin with.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #20
tellyho
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Braintree, MA

Forgot to mention that I pitched s33 and acidulated grain concurrently instead of
lacto first. Turned out fine, but maybe not as tart as it would have otherwise.