Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Sour Ale > Smoked Berliner Weisse - No Boil - BOS

Old 01-22-2014, 12:53 AM   #11
nimboden
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just brewed today. Excited to see how this turns out. Didn't have enough flaked wheat so used 1lbs flaked rye.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:13 AM   #12
robmartin113
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I know flaked wheat and white wheat are different but I have a TON of white wheat laying around. Think it would still turn out alright if I substitute for one another?
Keg 2 - Java Porter BOS Inaugural Bean Brew Challenge
Keg 3 - Air

Old 03-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #13
Bradthoc
Recipes 

Brewed this up using just a .5lb of Simpsons smoked malt and WLP011/Wyeast 5335lacto. Came out with much more smoke than I anticipated. Halved it because I was brewing this up for my daughter's birthday party; something the adults could enjoy. While everyone enjoyed it, the smoke was a bit too prominent, and kept everyone at two beers. I enjoy a smoked beer, but I'd almost consider doing just .25lb next time of the smoked malt. Just my preference though, with this style. Thanks for the recipe! It was definitely a hit, and look forward to drinking through the final 20, or so bottles to see how they hold up.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew
On-Deck: DIPA, Fauxgaarden Wit

Old 07-01-2014, 05:36 AM   #14
RussPDX
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

@bradthoc I think that you will find that the type and age of your smoke malt will have a big effect on the qty needed. You might have to play it by ear depending on the main Nd what you are trying to get out of it.

I am curious. Did you find that the smoke faded at all in those last 20 bottles?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Tap 1: American Amber Ale
Tap 2: Details (Belgian Golden Strong)
Tap 3: 2 Cent Plain

Old 07-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #15
mysteryshrimp
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Never had Simpson's Smoked Malt, but I know that the Briess is way more smokey than Weyermann.

I can tell you that the smoke faded slightly over the year or so that I kept some bottles of this.
BJCP ID: F0785, Certified Judge

Old 07-03-2014, 01:18 AM   #16
Bradthoc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussPDX View Post
I am curious. Did you find that the smoke faded at all in those last 20 bottles?

No. I was kinda hoping it would, but it didn't. All gone now though, except for one I'll try at a year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
On-Deck: DIPA, Fauxgaarden Wit

Old 05-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #17
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 40

The only Simpson's smoked malt I know is peat smoked which is INSANELY potent stuff.

What makes a "smoked Berliner weiss" different from a Gratzer / Grodziskie or even a Lichtenhainer?

Gratzer/ Grodiziskie uses oak smoke, so that may be a difference. I've only managed to find one German Lichtenhainer and it's a modern recreation but it was only mildly sour and only mildly smoky -more of a rauch malt smoke than an oak smoke. -It was actually an incredibly easy drinking summer beer -lightly tart and lightly smokey -I could easily drink a few liters of it and I'd never say that about really any other lactic soured or smoked beer.

If the Lichtenhainer I tried was an actual reflection of the style then it's just a beer that's held in perfect balance -the acidity brightens the smoke and the smoke makes the beer more substantial -it fills out the "middle section", if you will -kind of like how Munich malt fills in the middle section in a pure basemalt beer but obviously the smoke allows you to keep the finishing gravity very low. ---I struggle with words to describe it and this as close as I can get.

There may well be room for a properly lactic sour beer like a Berliner that contains the mild rauch malt smoke that wouldn't techically be a Gratzer or a Lichtenhainer and may well best be called a "smoked Berliner" but these styles rapidly get very close together.

Adam