6 Weeks and still no carbonation - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 6 Weeks and still no carbonation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
reed1911
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Posts: 240
Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts


If you got a hiss and the beer has some bubbles to it then it seems like it did carbonate. That seems like the case. You could have bad seals, you also may have simply not added enough sugar to properly carb the beer.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
MisterGreen
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 171
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
If you got a hiss and the beer has some bubbles to it then it seems like it did carbonate. That seems like the case. You could have bad seals, you also may have simply not added enough sugar to properly carb the beer.
I would have to rule out bad seals since I used some of them on my last batch and had no problems. As for quantity, the TastyBrew calculator called for 4.3 oz so I should have been fine there.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
grainbill
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Posts: 237
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts


could be the yeast is almost non existent for some reason.....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
boysbrew2012
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
San Jose, CA, CA
Posts: 80
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I would only do recommended carb drops as I did 3 in a 22oz and the bottles turned into grenades so be careful....If that were me...I'd go drastic empty the beer out into a bucket resanitize bottles and apply diff caps and add 5 oz of boiled corn sugar swirl it around in the bucket ....if you really think it could be a yeast issue then add dry yeast to the bucket let it sit for a week and reapply the corn sugar before bottling again.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
MisterGreen
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 171
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by boysbrew2012 View Post
I would only do recommended carb drops as I did 3 in a 22oz and the bottles turned into grenades so be careful....If that were me...I'd go drastic empty the beer out into a bucket resanitize bottles and apply diff caps and add 5 oz of boiled corn sugar swirl it around in the bucket ....if you really think it could be a yeast issue then add dry yeast to the bucket let it sit for a week and reapply the corn sugar before bottling again.
I'm going to try the drops in one as a test. I can't imagine how it could be the yeast. It had a very active fermentation.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
progmac
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,878
Liked 277 Times on 221 Posts


if everything is as described, unevenly distributed priming sugar is the only answer i can think of.

i like racking to the BB with 1/2" tubing because it tends to mix things up a little better.
__________________
на здравје!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #17
MisterGreen
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 171
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
if everything is as described, unevenly distributed priming sugar is the only answer i can think of.

i like racking to the BB with 1/2" tubing because it tends to mix things up a little better.
I always put the solution in the BB first then using 1/2" tubing I rack into the bucket creating a whirlpool effect.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
MisterGreen
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 171
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Update: I had moved a few bottles up to my bedroom closet which gets a bit warm to see if the increased temperature would do anything. Lo and behold when opened one over the weekend I got a huge hiss. I poured it into a glass and it had a nice head. So I went and moved all of the bottles upstairs.

So it looks like it was a temperature issue after all.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #19
Malty_Dog
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
York, PA
Posts: 812
Liked 121 Times on 89 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGreen View Post
I would have to rule out bad seals since I used some of them on my last batch and had no problems. As for quantity, the TastyBrew calculator called for 4.3 oz so I should have been fine there.
Congrats on perhaps finding the issue. I just bolded the above because it caught my eye. Do you mean to say you are re-using caps from a previous batch?
__________________
So many recipes...

Fermenter: Mirror Pond Pale Ale
Bottles: FW's "805" blonde, Imperial Red, Denny's Wry Smile, Ol' Bitter Bastard

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #20
MisterGreen
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 171
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Malty_Dog View Post
Congrats on perhaps finding the issue. I just bolded the above because it caught my eye. Do you mean to say you are re-using caps from a previous batch?
Not reusing. I bought a gross of them I've used them on more than one batch. If it was a defective lot I would have noticed it on previous batches as well.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
still not much carbonation after 3 weeks in the keg DankHead Bottling/Kegging 19 10-24-2012 06:10 PM
Almost no carbonation after 2 weeks in keg. Help. strongarm General Beer Discussion 13 08-24-2012 09:20 PM
2 1/2 weeks..no carbonation?? Gopher40 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 11-02-2011 11:27 PM
4 weeks, almost no carbonation Ampsonic Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 09-28-2010 01:10 AM
Little To No Carbonation After 5 Weeks S_carve General Techniques 10 04-26-2007 01:38 AM


Forum Jump