Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 6 Weeks and still no carbonation
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterGreen's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 187
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default 6 Weeks and still no carbonation

This is bizarre. I brewed NB's Shining Star Pale Ale back in May, pitched a Wyeast 1056 starter, fermented at 64 for 2 weeks, bottled with 4.5 oz priming sugar, conditioned in my 71F basement and 6 weeks this past Sunday still no carbonation. I've never seen an ale like this take so long. Obviously I'm going to give it a bit longer but I'm getting a bit concerned. Any thoughts?



MisterGreen is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
progmac
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,969
Liked 276 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 344

Default

something is wrong

did you boil the priming sugar with water before you added it to the bottling bucket?

are you sure you used priming sugar and not a similar-looking bag of something like malto-dextrine?

how many bottles have you opened? you might think about which bottles were filled first and which middle and which later so that you don't test two bottles that were bottled right after each other.


__________________
на здравје!
progmac is offline
MisterGreen Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterGreen's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 187
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
something is wrong

did you boil the priming sugar with water before you added it to the bottling bucket?

are you sure you used priming sugar and not a similar-looking bag of something like malto-dextrine?

how many bottles have you opened? you might think about which bottles were filled first and which middle and which later so that you don't test two bottles that were bottled right after each other.
I did boil it.

It was definitely priming sugar (at least that's what the package from the LHBS said)

I've opened 4 so far. The first 2 were the last I bottled. The 2 after that were random.
MisterGreen is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
progmac
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,969
Liked 276 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 344

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGreen View Post
I did boil it.

It was definitely priming sugar (at least that's what the package from the LHBS said)

I've opened 4 so far. The first 2 were the last I bottled. The 2 after that were random.
Have you successfully bottled other beers?
__________________
на здравје!
progmac is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
dstranger99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Charlottesville, Va
Posts: 1,050
Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

Hmmmmm, it's always possible that it wasn't corn sugar in the packet ??..........uncap a few, drop 3 or 4 carbonation drops in each one and recap. See if they carb up in a week or so...
__________________
__________________________

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........
dstranger99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterGreen's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 187
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Have you successfully bottled other beers?
I have. That is why this is so bizarre. I even took one, swirled it and moved it to a warmer location.
MisterGreen is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Medford, WI
Posts: 5,684
Liked 893 Times on 756 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGreen View Post
This is bizarre. I brewed NB's Shining Star Pale Ale back in May, pitched a Wyeast 1056 starter, fermented at 64 for 2 weeks, bottled with 4.5 oz priming sugar, conditioned in my 71F basement and 6 weeks this past Sunday still no carbonation. I've never seen an ale like this take so long. Obviously I'm going to give it a bit longer but I'm getting a bit concerned. Any thoughts?

Do you mean no CO2 release when a bottle is opened or the beer itself is not carbonated? If there is no CO2 release when a bottle is opened, the caps you used may have had poor seals.
flars is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterGreen's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 187
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstranger99 View Post
Hmmmmm, it's always possible that it wasn't corn sugar in the packet ??..........uncap a few, drop 3 or 4 carbonation drops in each one and recap. See if they carb up in a week or so...
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. That's the only logical answer. I'll give my LHBS a call to see if they had any other complaints and I'll try the drops. I'll let you know what happens.
MisterGreen is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
MisterGreen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterGreen's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 187
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post
Do you mean no CO2 release when a bottle is opened or the beer itself is not carbonated? If there is no CO2 release when a bottle is opened the caps you used may have had poor seals.
There is a hiss when I open them. It's small but it's definitely there.
MisterGreen is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Medford, WI
Posts: 5,684
Liked 893 Times on 756 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGreen View Post
There is a hiss when I open them. It's small but it's definitely there.
I had a couple of batches which I carbonated with corn sugar to 2.8 volumes. I wasn't getting the head I expected from the first bottled or the last bottled. I refrigerated for about 10 days instead of 3 days and then the beer finally carbonated. Unlike yours I did get a pretty good release of CO2 on opening after 3 days of chilling.


flars is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
still not much carbonation after 3 weeks in the keg DankHead Bottling/Kegging 19 10-24-2012 06:10 PM
Almost no carbonation after 2 weeks in keg. Help. strongarm General Beer Discussion 13 08-24-2012 09:20 PM
2 1/2 weeks..no carbonation?? Gopher40 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 11-02-2011 11:27 PM
4 weeks, almost no carbonation Ampsonic Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 09-28-2010 01:10 AM
Little To No Carbonation After 5 Weeks S_carve General Techniques 10 04-26-2007 01:38 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS