Looking for Help converting my extract to AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcorn

Reaction score
I am looking for a little help with a recipe I have in extract/partial mash currently. I am wanting to brew it as a biab batch at 70% efficiency. Thanks guys!

EXTRA PALE LME: 5 LBS. (I HAVE HEARD THIS IS SIMPLY PILSEN LIGHT DME)
2 ROW: 1.5 LBS
CHOCOLATE MALT: .75 LBS.
DE-BITTERED BLACK MALT: .125 LBS.
CRYSTAL 40L: .5 LBS

For simplicity figure pilsen lme and pilsen malt yield the same ppg, roughly 37 ppg. You just have to account for loss of efficiency so you scale up the pilsen malt by 30%. You need 5 * 70% or roughly 7 lb 4 oz pilsen malt. Keep everything else the same. Hope this helps.

Pilsen dme by Briess shows carapils and pilsen malt used. Should I use some of that base for carapils and less pilsen? Also, my homebrew supplier doesnt carry pilsen malt but carries "premium pilsner malt" and "pale ale malt". Would either be similar to pilsen? That is at Austin Homebrew

Wait I found Briess Pilsen Malt on the site but it says it is undermodified and needs a step infusion? What does all that crap mean? Lol is "undermodified" normal pilsen malt?

Don't get the undermodified, the premium pilsner from Rahr is fine (pilsen and pilsner are used interchangeably). Curious what the rest of this recipe is, though. Is it a brown ale or porter? If that's the case I'd use 2-row or pale ale malt.

I agree just use 2-row in place a extra light on extract, its not Pilsen. I guess I should have read your recipe more closely :drunk:

Don't get the undermodified, the premium pilsner from Rahr is fine (pilsen and pilsner are used interchangeably). Curious what the rest of this recipe is, though. Is it a brown ale or porter? If that's the case I'd use 2-row or pale ale malt.

It is a cross between a brown ale and a porter. I won a competition with it yesterday and get the oppurtunity to brew 50 gallons of it at my local brewery! I dont want to be embaressed of this one being an extract batch so im trying to convert it to AG. Its a wonderful lighter style porter! Great balance and only a 35 min. Boil with willamette and perle. How much carapils,pilsen malt and 2 row should I use total to mimic this recipe?

The 5 lb LME can be converted to 7.5 lb 2 row (rounding up like an ounce to make measurements easy). So I'd go with 9 lb 2-row plus the chocolate, debittered, and crystal as written. You don't really need the carapils.

The 5 lb LME can be converted to 7.5 lb 2 row (rounding up like an ounce to make measurements easy). So I'd go with 9 lb 2-row plus the rest of your grains as written. You don't really need the carapils.

Thank you very much for the help! The head on this beer was wonderful and was just hoping to carry that over to the ag version, but even without the carapils I think the choc. Malt and crystal 40 with boost the head a little.

Thank you very much for the help! The head on this beer was wonderful and was just hoping to carry that over to the ag version, but even without the carapils I think the choc. Malt and crystal 40 with boost the head a little.

This is what I was thinking, I don't usually carry over the carapils if there is crystal malt or other body/head retention malts already in the recipe.
Congrats on your win!
:mug:

Thank you both for all of the help. I am very nervous about brewing up my 50 gallons with those guys but it will be a great experience and they even let me serve it to the brewpub!

I agree just use 2-row in place a extra light on extract, its not Pilsen. I guess I should have read your recipe more closely :drunk:

Actually you did read it right haha. Pilsen light= pilsen malt/carapils and Extra Light (not in my recipe)= 2-row/carapils. If I wanted to maintain this nice light character of this ale would Pilsen malt be a better choice than the 2row since that is what pilsen light is? 2row is darker and has a more bready character right?

If I wanted to maintain this nice light character of this ale would Pilsen malt be a better choice than the 2row since that is what pilsen light is? 2row is darker and has a more bready character right?

2-row is going to be pretty neutral and smooth and what would be more common in this style. Although it might not be as apparent a difference in this beer Pilsner would be used to get the cripser/grainer taste in pilsners and other lagers (to me seems sharper or a little harsher). Pale ale malt would usually be kilned a little higher and be a bit more rich or bready (of course varying by maltster). For what you are wanting I would go with 2-row.

But I thought your recipe was with the extra pale LME anyway, or are you saying you actually did use pilsen?

Union, thanks buddy that was a really nice chart and I will definitely be using it from here on out.

Chickypad, I really am just trying to aim for exactly what grains were used to make that Extra Pale LME that I used in my batch. Austin Homebrew Supply claims that the Extra Pale Extract (I have seen Forrest post it in many different threads) is simply Pilsen Light Extract (also called Pilsen extract) by Briess but renamed. If you go to the Briess site and look for details on grain usage for Pilsen extract it claims to be "Pilsen malt, carapils and water". So I am really just aiming for the most accurate grain to use to replace that 5 lbs. of Extra Pale LME (aka Pilsen light extract lol) in my recipe.

I haven't brewed extract in a while but I'm not sure I could pick out the differences in batches made with light vs. extra light, etc. the way I notice the subtle differences in the taste of base grains with all grain brewing. Maybe my palate has just gotten better over the years. I do think an all grain version is always going to be a little different than the extract. If it were me, based on the style I would stick with 2- row. That being said I've never actually tried to make a style like a brown ale or a porter with pilsner malt. It's certainly your call, and to tell you the truth with all roasted grains in there I'm not sure the differences are going to be that noticeable.

Do you have time to try it for yourself? Why not brew two side by side small all grain batches and see.

Honestly you may be right in the sense that it will taste similar either way. I have a few months before I have to brew it so I am going to brew one with each and see what happens. I guess if it comes down to it and I cannot hit it the way I want it, I will brew it up extract style! lol

Back