Mr. Beer Marzen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMSU4ever

Reaction score
I just bottled my batch of Marzen from a Mr.Beer can. I added honey and sugar, turbaned or something like that. I also steeped a toasted oatmeal, bulghur wheat and bran in the mix. As well as some grain that I bought from a store. I was wondering if anyone as done this? I wanted a higher ABV.Tank you for your time. I have 2 cans of stout and I want to experiment with the taste. Any comments would be appreciated. :mug:

Pretty interesting additions for a marzen. Im not quite sure what flavor profile ur gonna get from the grains and other things u steeped to be quite honest. The honey and turbanado will up the OG and therefore the ABV so ur correct in adding those.

What was ur OG and what type of yeast did u use? Also was the can pre-hopped or did u have to add hops? if you added, what kind?

I think most people are gonna say no they haven't done this.

I don't think the grains will have any effect on the ABV as steeping grains are used to add color and body. If you want alcohol out of the grain it needs to be mashed first. You will just have to wait and see what you get.....its hard to say.

Yeah I am a newbie at this. The grains I crushed were a Weyerman Cara Chocolate and Caramel grains. I crushed them up in coffee grinder. The bouquet was really good. It smelled like banana fruity bread like
. It is a fun experiment. The yeast was the Mr. Beer yeast. Nothing special. Thanks for posting.

Coffee grinder isn't good for grains......they need to be crushed evenly leaving the husks intact as possible. No worries we all learn this by reading about it on boards, in a book or from a fellow brewer. It will still be beer and beer is God....I mean Good.

As for changing the Mr. Beer Stout. I was thinking of raising ABV and attempting my first mini mash at it. I still have the grain. As well as toasted oatmeal and wheat grains. Maybe some chocolate because I have some Godiva liquor I need to burn out. I don't know how to mash the grain though. THANK YOU for you posts!

To all that inquired about this beer, it came out really good! I am impressed, I may up the honey next time. I am letting age another 3 weeks before I crack another one. A little more aging should make it better! Thanks to all that posted.

Back