Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dry hopping in keg
Old 07-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Dry hopping in keg

I will be using a nylon hop bag with 3 oz of citra hops. Any thoughts on if i am better off just hooking keg up at serving temp and let sit for about 2 weeks or dry hop without any co2. Any better results with hoping in primary/secondary rather then in keg?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Ale's What Cures You!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 6654 Times on 4741 Posts
Likes Given: 1856

If you're using three ounces of hops, make sure you use a huge bag, or several small ones. You want the hops loose in the bag(s), and not packed in, so that the beer can contact/permeate all of the hops.

I dryhop in the keg all the time. Sometimes I leave the keg at room temperature for 5 days before chilling (to get the most out of the dryhops- it happens faster at room temperature), sometimes I chill right away. If I chill right away, it takes more like 14 days to really get the dryhops aroma out of the beer (due to the colder temperature).

Either way, I love the results and dryhop in the keg often! The co2 doesn't seem to matter at all. The only thing I would do is make sure to not carbonate by "burst carbing" the keg by shaking/purging- as each time you purge the keg you'd be blowing off the nice hops aroma you're trying to develop. Otherwise, putting it on the gas is fine.
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook:
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!