Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Grain making it to the boil

Old 07-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
bennie1986
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Grain making it to the boil

How much grain is unacceptable in the boil kettle. I noticed that my last few brews have had bits of grain that have escaped the mash tun even after a half gallon vorlof. Should I be worried, is there anything I can do to stops this? I would say it about half a cup worth more or less.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Mozart
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'm no expert, but I don't think that much grain in the fermenter is going to make that much difference.

I don't know what kind of fermentation vessel you use, but I line my bucket with a 24 x 24 nylon mesh bag prior to pouring in the wort. Then I just lift the bag out and remove any of the grain or hop material along with it.

Not sure how well this would work if your fermentation vessel is a carboy.

Fermenter #1 (6.5g): Empty
Fermenter #2 (6.5g): Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops
Fermenter #3 & #4 (1.0g): Empty

Old 07-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
bennie1986
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart
I'm no expert, but I don't think that much grain in the fermenter is going to make that much difference.

I don't know what kind of fermentation vessel you use, but I line my bucket with a 24 x 24 nylon mesh bag prior to pouring in the wort. Then I just lift the bag out and remove any of the grain or hop material along with it.

Not sure how well this would work if your fermentation vessel is a carboy.
Ya it's a Carboy but I'm Mostly worried about off flavors from boiling grains.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 140

You will get some astringency from tannin extraction. How much is really hard to say. I once spilled some grain into the kettle (manifold came uncoupled inside the tun) and the beer tasted fine. It was a strong bitter stout so I may not have noticed the astringency. It might be noticeable in a lighter less flavorful beer.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
funnycreature
Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesIPA View Post
You will get some astringency from tannin extraction. How much is really hard to say. I once spilled some grain into the kettle (manifold came uncoupled inside the tun) and the beer tasted fine. It was a strong bitter stout so I may not have noticed the astringency. It might be noticeable in a lighter less flavorful beer.
I am almost certain that tannin extraction is more a result of pH rather than temperature. Otherwise decoctions would mess up beers bad! Did a quick search here and it was the general consensus.

Check out my wife's etsy store where she offers soaps made with my beer!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 802 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 319

have you considered filtering/straining your wort on the way to the kettle? you can use a funnel with a filter, put a hop bag over the end of the hose going into the kettle, etc.

Drinking: Tripel'ish, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34, imperial chocolate stout, dubbel
Carb'ing: local sour cherry kriek
Aging: TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn

Old 07-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnycreature View Post
I am almost certain that tannin extraction is more a result of pH rather than temperature. Otherwise decoctions would mess up beers bad! Did a quick search here and it was the general consensus.
I did some googling and it appears you're right.

So yeah... I guess the answer is don't worry about getting grain in the boil as long as your pH isn't too high.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
jtratcliff
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I'm not sure much tannin is actually extracted by boiling.

I recently made BrewKaiser's Dusseldorfer Alt recipe from the recipe section. It calls for a a decoction mash where you pull a significant portion of the mash after the protein rest and boil it in a separate pot for about 20 minutes while the rest of the grain continues to mash. I didn't notice any astringency at all.

Now perhaps the pH of boiling mash is different than that of boiling wort but I think more than high temps are need for tannin extraction.

Edited to add:
I see I'm too late! It's already been covered above.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
bennie1986
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell
have you considered filtering/straining your wort on the way to the kettle? you can use a funnel with a filter, put a hop bag over the end of the hose going into the kettle, etc.
I thought about it but was worried i would cause hot wort aeration issues.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I get small bits here and there, its not going to hurt anything.
There is a guy in our home brew club who puts his specialty grains in the boil kettle and then strains it going into his fermentor. He makes good beer.