I'm new to cheese making and currently making an american style cheddar from a recipe in a book every thing seemed to go ok with the making and pressing of the cheese, it was then allowed to dry for a couple of days before being placed on a drying mat inside a plastic container and placed in the refrigerator to age about a week ago. I have checked it and turned it everyday after about 3 days a small amount of mold appeared on the surface and this was removed and the cheese washed with brine (as per the book) allowed to dry before going back. Today I opened the plastic box to turn the cheese the smell that came out of the box was dreadful, it smelt like old socks!!! and a small amount of mold was present again.
Being new to this I don't know if this is normal or has something gone wrong, any help you can give me would be great appreciated, so thanks in advance.
Temperature inside the box is 13.5 Centigrade and humidity is 71%