Is my beer safe to drink? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is my beer safe to drink?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #21
Feb 2012
Tacoma, WA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH View Post
I'd drink it. It's was diluted to a safe level with water, and then you further diluted it beer.
Agreed. Fear no beer. Diluted star-san or not.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #22
Feb 2011
Vancouver, British Columbia
Liked 123 Times on 87 Posts

Email 5star! they have awesome customer service and will get back to you. I've had star-san poisoning panic in the past. Here is the redacted response I got from star-san. Note the response time.

----- Forwarded Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 1, 2011 10:59:51 AM
Subject: RE: Star San and Copper safety?

You will be fine. Yes, Star San will shine copper up nicely. It might have pulled some oxalate off of the copper. This will not harm you. The metallic odor could be many things. It is probably the star san cleaning the copper. This is not toxic.

Five Star

Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:42 PM
To: Support
Subject: Star San and Copper safety?

Last night I was bottling some homebrew and I had a tub of star san for sanitizing bottles and hoses. While I was siphoning into the bottling bucket I left the copper hose connector from the spigot soaking in the star san for about 10 or 15 minutes. After I removed it from the star san it was a bright copper colour (like a shiny new penny). I then reassembled the bottling bucket spigot and proceeded to bottle, giving every bottle a quick star san rinse immediately before filling. When I was done I noticed the star san had a slight metallic odour and when cleaning up I noticed that the copper hose connector had the same odour (but much stronger) as did my hands after touching it. Did I leach copper or some other toxic compound into the star san? Did I then contaminate every bottle with the final rinse before bottling? I didn't notice any change in Star San colour but it could have been missed due to that suds. I've heard about yeast precipitating out metals, but this is a hefeweizen and we will be drinking the yeast. Should this be something I concern myself with (and dump the batch) or am I over reacting?

I appreciate any feedback you can give. Thanks,

Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #23
Nov 2007
Liked 172 Times on 146 Posts

I wouldn't expect 5-Star to tell you it's safe to drink, even if it is. Since it's not made for drinking, they probably won't want to claim it's safe to drink. Liability and all. Hopefully they'd be willing to share anecdotes though.

I'd be just as worried about what it did to the beer's taste.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #24
Feb 2011
Robards, Kentucky
Liked 91 Times on 58 Posts

Star San doesn't need to be broken down to be yeast food. The phosphoric acid is a source of vital inorganic phosphate that all living things need to do the chemistry of life. Just by diluting it you make it yeast food.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #25
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3692 Times on 3172 Posts

It was my impression that "breaking it down" made it non acidic or something? So the acidic form is the nutrient? I loooked on five star's site & found this tech sheet. It contradicts all we've been told...unless it means these things happen in it's concentrated form?'s the link to the tech sheet;
NEW books on amazon/Kindle! Check it out now...
Home Brewing-
Distopian Sci-Fi-
New! John Henry-

Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #26
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Liked 357 Times on 311 Posts

I really think you're fine. There's plenty of phosphoric acid in sodas, and likely less in the beer you've diluted it in. Just taste it.
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own! .. ..

IslandLizard Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #27
Apr 2012
Denver, CO
Liked 106 Times on 87 Posts

Another vote for "you're fine, drink up." You've just diluted some already diluted acid with 4.75 gallons of beer.