Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Brett Saison tastes like feet

Old 07-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
RachmaelBenApplebaum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Isn't it supposed to be funky?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2244 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 2327

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachmaelBenApplebaum
Isn't it supposed to be funky?
There is funky and there is oh gawd, what is that?!?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:52 AM   #13
philiphirz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I pulled it out of the keezer and set it in a room in my basement where I age my sour beers. I will put it back on tap in a couple of months and report back if anything interesting happens.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #14
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 802 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiphirz View Post
I pulled it out of the keezer and set it in a room in my basement where I age my sour beers. I will put it back on tap in a couple of months and report back if anything interesting happens.
do let us know how it turns out.

i just tasted the leftovers from my Brett B starter... yuck. a mix of band-aid, smelly cheese and feet. really unpleasant. the brett got plenty of O2 on the stir plate while the starter was doing its thing, i wonder if that contributes?

i'm nervous about pitching this foot-cheese mix into my saison, but i'll spin the wheel and do it anyways. the saison will have 6 months with the brett, with much lower oxygen levels... i hope this will help.

Drinking: Tripel'ish, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34, imperial chocolate stout, dubbel
Carb'ing: local sour cherry kriek
Aging: TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn

Old 08-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #15
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I'll stay tuned for the follow up, I've got my first sour going right now...

Old 12-13-2014, 01:24 AM   #16
Yeroc
Recipes 

Philiphirz, did your brett saison ever come around? I've got one going that doesn't taste like feet, but doesn't taste all that good yet. The flavor was much better right after primary fermentation. I'm 3.5 months in now, and the pleasing saison yeast aroma/taste seems muted and the hop bitterness is more upfront than before. Almost like flavors have been stripped away but with no new flavors added to replace what's missing. Hoping it turns around in a few months.

I have 3 gallons aging with just the brett and a couple gallons on a few pounds of pomegranate seeds with the brett. Haven't sampled the pom version yet.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #17
TAK
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeroc View Post
Philiphirz, did your brett saison ever come around? I've got one going that doesn't taste like feet, but doesn't taste all that good yet. The flavor was much better right after primary fermentation. I'm 3.5 months in now, and the pleasing saison yeast aroma/taste seems muted and the hop bitterness is more upfront than before. Almost like flavors have been stripped away but with no new flavors added to replace what's missing. Hoping it turns around in a few months.

I have 3 gallons aging with just the brett and a couple gallons on a few pounds of pomegranate seeds with the brett. Haven't sampled the pom version yet.
My first Brett beer, a saison, is in about the same situation right now. Tasted like a great saison after primary with wy3711. After a few months of secondary in the keg with wlp650 and dregs from an Orval, I pulled a sample. The smell was awesome, but the taste was as you described. It was as though the saison yeast character had been stripped away without being replaced. Maybe some carbonation would bring it to life. But it's going to sit for at least another six months, so time will tell.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:41 PM   #18
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I would bottle that brett saison. I let mine sit in the primary for six months and got just a trace of funk. Then I bottled it up and three weeks later and it's got big brett flavor. They say pressure causes the brett to pump up the flavor profile.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #19
TAK
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've got mine under 35-40 PSI in the keg.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #20
MaddBaggins
I feel Hoppy!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 223

If it tastes the way mine smell after a day in my work boots, I wouldn't water the lawn with it.

other than that, I got nuthin.