Brett Saison tastes like feet - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Brett Saison tastes like feet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
philiphirz
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 10
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



About 4 1/2 months ago I brewed a saison using WLP568 which is the blend of belgian yeast and a belgian saison strain. The saison recipe was pretty straightforward with a gravity of 1.060 made up of 75% belgian pilsener malt, 17% munich malt, and 8% wheat malt. After it fermented for about 2 weeks, down to about 1.010, I moved it to secondary in a 5 gallon better bottle. Initially the beer smelled really good with a distinct spicy yeast character. I also tasted some and was excited about the prospects.

In secondary I pitched a vial of ECY04 - the now discontinued Brett blend. I let it sit in secondary for a little over 3 months with the hopes that it would develop some interesting Brett character. After 3 months the gravity had barely moved - maybe only down a point or two - and I never really saw signs of Brett activity and didn't really notice any Brett character. The smell was still good and so was the flavor. I decided I wanted to repurpose that carboy for a sour with ECY01 so I kegged the Brett saison a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to shoot for pretty high carbonation so I set the regulator for 25 psi at 42 degrees F thinking that I would be in the neighborhood of about 3.5 volumes of C02.

Tonight I finally kicked one of my kegs and I tapped the saison. The flavor was totally disappointing and tasted somewhere between sour apple juice and smelly feet. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Do you think I should let it ride for a few more months to see if the Brett changes the character? Do you think that the carbonation is just too high and it is accenting some strange flavors and adding too much acidity from the carbonic acid? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I was really looking forward to this beer just a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks,
Phil

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Posts: 5,144
Liked 981 Times on 710 Posts


could be an infection. could just need more time... but sounds suspiciously like an infection.
__________________
What hops should I grow? Looking for cheap honey?
- Drinking: BPA made with ingredients from NHC, 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout (half on coconut), sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
m3n00b
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Orange County, Commiefornia
Posts: 1,134
Liked 154 Times on 117 Posts


Not sure what feet taste like but does it have a barnyard taste?


....not that I've tasted a barnyard either....

Kswanny Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
dcHokie
 
dcHokie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Washington, DC
Posts: 1,591
Liked 257 Times on 195 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by philiphirz View Post
About 4 1/2 months ago I brewed a saison using WLP568 which is the blend of belgian yeast and a belgian saison strain. The saison recipe was pretty straightforward with a gravity of 1.060 made up of 75% belgian pilsener malt, 17% munich malt, and 8% wheat malt. After it fermented for about 2 weeks, down to about 1.010, I moved it to secondary in a 5 gallon better bottle. Initially the beer smelled really good with a distinct spicy yeast character. I also tasted some and was excited about the prospects.

In secondary I pitched a vial of ECY04 - the now discontinued Brett blend. I let it sit in secondary for a little over 3 months with the hopes that it would develop some interesting Brett character. After 3 months the gravity had barely moved - maybe only down a point or two - and I never really saw signs of Brett activity and didn't really notice any Brett character. The smell was still good and so was the flavor. I decided I wanted to repurpose that carboy for a sour with ECY01 so I kegged the Brett saison a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to shoot for pretty high carbonation so I set the regulator for 25 psi at 42 degrees F thinking that I would be in the neighborhood of about 3.5 volumes of C02.

Tonight I finally kicked one of my kegs and I tapped the saison. The flavor was totally disappointing and tasted somewhere between sour apple juice and smelly feet. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Do you think I should let it ride for a few more months to see if the Brett changes the character? Do you think that the carbonation is just too high and it is accenting some strange flavors and adding too much acidity from the carbonic acid? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I was really looking forward to this beer just a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks,
Phil
Can't say I've ever had "smelly feet" thats a new one to me, but I've made a few brett beers with initial off-flavors (sulfur, plastic, band-aid, cider, etc) that cleared up and turned out wonderful a few months later.

For what its worth, I recently resampled a brett beer that I hated for a year and at 13 months it is drinking quite nicely.
__________________
so many sour things

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,655
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie

Can't say I've ever had "smelly feet" thats a new one to me, but I've made a few brett beers with initial off-flavors (sulfur, plastic, band-aid, cider, etc) that cleared up and turned out wonderful a few months later.

For what its worth, I recently resampled a brett beer that I hated for a year and at 13 months it is drinking quite nicely.
This^

I've had some really good cheeses that smelled like dirty feet, but never a beer with that particular smell.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.

dcHokie Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
dcHokie
 
dcHokie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Washington, DC
Posts: 1,591
Liked 257 Times on 195 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
This^

I've had some really good cheeses that smelled like dirty feet, but never a beer with that particular smell.
Great, now I want cheese.
__________________
so many sour things

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,655
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie

Great, now I want cheese.
I've got a nice wheel of Camembert in the fridge, but those soft cheeses are a commitment.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
Austin_
 
Austin_'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Nashville, TN
Posts: 822
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
Can't say I've ever had "smelly feet" thats a new one to me, but I've made a few brett beers with initial off-flavors (sulfur, plastic, band-aid, cider, etc) that cleared up and turned out wonderful a few months later.
This has been my experience as well. I did an all Brett c. pale ale and I wasn't happy with it at all after a couple months. Tasted almost like it had detergent in it. I pulled the keg back out and let it sit for a few more months. Turned out fantastic.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
Beernoulli
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Dallas, Texas
Posts: 40
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


"Footy" is a flavor sometimes made by Brux. (Kind of similar to barnyard/funk)

Prairie Artisan Ale's "ALE", a Saison with Brux, has a particularly footy smell to me. But it's well balanced so it doesn't overpower the beer.

James Spencer from Basic Brewing complained about having an extremely footy beer by adding the dregs of Orval at bottling.

If its kegged, you can try venting and re-carbonating a few times. This has worked to get rid of cheesy smells from Brett in a no-hop Berliner.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,655
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts


Feet, cheese, goaty, etc can all be precursor compounds to tropical or floral. I don't have the chart here, but there is isobutyric and a second similar sounding acid that Brett can change into pleasant esters given time.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brett Beer Saison Brett dwarven_stout Homebrew Sours & Wilds Recipes 160 05-30-2016 06:25 PM
Saison... Brett? Brett3rThanU Recipes/Ingredients 1 07-18-2013 02:57 PM
First lager tastes like feet before lagering? remuS All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 04-07-2012 07:16 PM
Used Brett and Cider tastes fantastic Calder Cider Forum 11 12-22-2011 12:45 AM
My Brett Saison jgardner6 Lambic & Wild Brewing 37 09-05-2011 06:51 AM


Forum Jump