EBY/BBA Brettanomyces Experiment - Page 9 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > EBY/BBA Brettanomyces Experiment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #81
kerosin
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Bern, Switzerland
Posts: 40
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by berebrando View Post
I talked to my LHBS owner about getting twenty 1-gallon glass carboys with stoppers and airlocks for the experiment. He said he'd be glad to help me out.

Last night I prepared 24 slants so that I can save the yeast for future experiments. I want to do some mixed fermentations and some all-brett blends, pending the results of this experiment. Can't wait for this!
That's super amazing

I can already tell that all the 20 strains are viable and fermenting. Although five of the strains are really slow growers (EBY005, EBY008, EBY009, EBY011, EBY013 all Cantillon strains and EBY016 B. lembeek I). Everything is right on schedule which means, the strains will be sent off on Monday, the 26th of August. But before that, 350 tubes have to be labeled, filled and sealed for shipping.

I have to be honest, it took way more time and effort to prepare this experiment than I expected. But that's how it is. I hope no problems occur during shipping, propagation and the experiment itself.

Please let me know if someone has any success with blends later on. I am already playing around with some blends but would be really interested to know about other's success.


__________________
www.eurekabrewing.wordpress.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #82
ryanhope
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Albany, NY
Posts: 270
Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts


I wouldn't object to you charging over the shipping costs to cover tube and dme costs.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:04 AM   #83
Matteo57
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Corona, ca
Posts: 754
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts


Cool experiment!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #84
gmr
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Posts: 31
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


It looks like I may have access to a university lab, and my friend - a micro-biologist to help build these up, and also store them. I've never spent any time in a lab, so I'm pretty excited about that.

I also have 20 1-gallon jugs ready to go.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #85
badlee
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Thailand, Chiang mai,Thailand
Posts: 2,032
Liked 155 Times on 126 Posts


Got I hate it when other people get to do such amazing things.
Break a leg guys

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #86
gwood
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
gwood's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 573
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanhope
I wouldn't object to you charging over the shipping costs to cover tube and dme costs.
I concur. I would be happy to do so as well.
__________________
The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale.
A. E. Housman


Follow me on Twitter @SoCalBeer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #87
othellomcbane
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Beacon, New York
Posts: 228
Liked 39 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosin View Post
That's super amazing

I can already tell that all the 20 strains are viable and fermenting. Although five of the strains are really slow growers (EBY005, EBY008, EBY009, EBY011, EBY013 all Cantillon strains and EBY016 B. lembeek I). Everything is right on schedule which means, the strains will be sent off on Monday, the 26th of August. But before that, 350 tubes have to be labeled, filled and sealed for shipping.

I have to be honest, it took way more time and effort to prepare this experiment than I expected. But that's how it is. I hope no problems occur during shipping, propagation and the experiment itself.

Please let me know if someone has any success with blends later on. I am already playing around with some blends but would be really interested to know about other's success.
Thanks for all the hard work, I can't imagine how labor intensive putting this together was.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #88
kerosin
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Bern, Switzerland
Posts: 40
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Eureka, after a 8 hour marathon of filling and sealing 350 tubes of yeasts, the 38 envelopes are ready for their journey. I will deposit the envelopes at my local post office tomorrow morning (26th of August 2013). Expect to receive the yeasts within three to seven days (according to my post office). I am so relieved, all the preparation work is now over.

Further information about the experiment can be found here:

For all the collaborators, please read the first update if you haven't done so already.

Cheers, Sam
__________________
www.eurekabrewing.wordpress.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #89
TychoBrahe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
New Milford, CT
Posts: 36
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Sam,
Thank you for all of your hard work. Your efforts are worth much more than the $4 you are asking!

One question, do you suggest adding any yeast nutrient to our first starter?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #90
kerosin
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Bern, Switzerland
Posts: 40
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoBrahe View Post
Sam,
Thank you for all of your hard work. Your efforts are worth much more than the $4 you are asking!

One question, do you suggest adding any yeast nutrient to our first starter?
You can certainly add some yeast nutrients if you like. I always add some nutrients to all my starters.

Please keep in mind that EBY005 B. cantillon I, EBY008 B. cantillon II, EBY009 B. cantillon III, EBY011 B. cantillon V, EBY013 B. cantillon VII and EBY016 B. lembeek I are really slow growers. Expect to wait longer to get any signs of fermentation.

Cheers, Sam


__________________
www.eurekabrewing.wordpress.com

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Great Brettanomyces Experiment berebrando Lambic & Wild Brewing 34 04-13-2014 02:53 PM
Is this brettanomyces? mutedog Lambic & Wild Brewing 13 02-24-2011 06:19 PM
Dry Brettanomyces? jbrookeiv Fermentation & Yeast 3 10-17-2010 10:36 PM
Using 100% Brettanomyces jvetter All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 04-17-2009 10:23 PM
Anybody use Brettanomyces? Sir Humpsalot General Beer Discussion 10 04-13-2007 08:31 PM


Forum Jump