What should I dry hop my Saison with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I currently have my Nude Beach Blond Saison at 1.014 in my primary after 3 days. The recipe is as follows so far:

8 lbs 2 row
1 lb Crystal 20L
8 oz Cara Pils/Dextrine
4 oz Caravienne
1 oz Perle at 60
1 oz Saaz at 15

I tasted it tonight and so far so good. I just need a hop recommendation for dry-hopping. I have on hand Perle, Cascade, Willamette and Magnum, but a drive to the LHBS is no big deal to get something else.

My last brew used 2oz of Citra, but I'm not looking for anything that strong. I'm looking for subtle. And maybe using whole leaf instead of pellets to keep it subtle.

What yeast did you use? What flavor are you looking for? Normally the saison's are just left since we are looking to taste the yeast contributions more so than the hops. That being said you have a pretty neutral setup there so anything you dry hop with should show well.

3724. Most of the saisons I see have a mild dry hop added, but I agree that the yeast flavors should come through too.

Man, to be honest, I'd leave it as is, let it do its primary in the garage at 85-90 degrees for 10-15 days and enjoy. I love many hops but for my saisons I just ferm hot and drink them as is.

I decided on Strisselspalt hops, one oz. that won't overpower the yeast favors but give it some aroma.

I decided on Strisselspalt hops, one oz. that won't overpower the yeast favors but give it some aroma.

That sounds really good. I like some of that continental dry hop aroma, even on a belgian saison.

I split a saison batch earlier this summer and dry hopped one gallon with Amarillo and another with sorachi ace. Two totally different beers but both delicious.

I have a saison in my fermenter using Azacca hops. Plan on putting in 1 oz Azacca to dry hop in a few days, about 3 days before bottling.

Here's a description: Intense and tropical. Sustained impressions of citrus and very ripe mango, with notes of orchard fruit (pears, apples) and pine needles throughout. https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/hops-american-hops-azacca

Wow, a two year old thread replied to as if it were new. I knew I recognized the title.

I'll be making this brew again soon since it is summer once again. Last year's batch didn't last long, and the first one didn't either.

Well, I did make another batch of this same saison, and it also took off like gangbusters. It's been 5 days but I've resisted the urge to take a reading, mostly because I've been out of town. There is still a light layer of krausen at the top and it is still bubbling, so it is clearly not done. Temp was between 85 and 90. I'll do a reading on Sunday, at 7 days, and if it is low enough,~1.008, I'll transfer and dry hop, otherwise it'll have to wait until next weekend.

Back