Refrigerator Door Hole Drilling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havokczl

Reaction score
Hello!
I got a good Craigslist refrigerator that I intend to fully convert to kegerator.
I already have my CO2 line hole drilled on the side & have made my first attempt at force carbonating. My plan is to have the taps thru the door, but I keep seeing differing instructions pertaining to 7/8" vs. 1" hole for the shanks. I know its only an 1/8 of an inch, but is one size better or more snug than the other? Will the shanks be a tight fit with the 7/8" ? Which would be recommended? 1" or 7/8"?

Hello!
I got a good Craigslist refrigerator that I intend to fully convert to kegerator.
I already have my CO2 line hole drilled on the side & have made my first attempt at force carbonating. My plan is to have the taps thru the door, but I keep seeing differing instructions pertaining to 7/8" vs. 1" hole for the shanks. I know its only an 1/8 of an inch, but is one size better or more snug than the other? Will the shanks be a tight fit with the 7/8" ? Which would be recommended? 1" or 7/8"?

I'm sure that 7/8" will work, but I drilled a 1" hole in mine, and there is a little play. Not that much though, and I like having the tiny bit of extra play.

I can't really answer your question directly because I have a stainless steel fridge and had to use a dremel and carbide bit to cut the hole. I simply put the shank up as a guide and used a fine tip marker to draw the hole. If you have the shanks, just measure them. I think they're typically 7/8. So if you drill a 7/8 hole they will possibly be a tight fit. But you could just use a dremel to wallow out the remainder.

Beer shanks have an OD of 7/8", so a true 7/8" hole will likely require touching up with a file/rasp/Dremel to make the fit something less than snug. 1" will be a bit on the sloppy side, I'd opt for the 7/8" - or even better 15/16" if the bit is available...

Cheers!

Get a scrap piece of plywood and drill each size in it and try them both. See which you think would work best. Also remember, you can always go larger but not smaller.

Again...I use a 1" holesaw...haven't seen a 15/15"...7/8" is gonna be tight...as was stated the shanks are 7/8"...considering the collar and the flange nut that the shanks come with to make up for any "slop", 1" is just easier....but YMMV....but I am a fabricator by trade, and tight ain't always right....

Thanks so much everybody for your thoughts! It's answered my
conundrum. I think I will go with the 1". I like what HopinJim said...
"tight ain't always right."

It's like being with a woman- do you like a tight fit or a little loose for some more play? Like throwing a hot dog down a hallway...

I used 1 1/8 Drill inside 1.5 outside
Drill from outside, do not drill all the way through plastic inner liner.

1" pvc cut to fit just 3/32 to 1/8 smaller than thickness between inside and out.
This allows you to tighten the shank without crushing or damaging the door.

Drill from outside, do not drill all the way through plastic, leave just a pilot hole.
Drill 1 1/8 hole from inside (could be smaller, just make sure large enough for shank.

Or reverse the process, your choice, just be careful not to drill the large 1.5" hole through inside.. 1.5" hole on outside is covered with the shank flange.

examples:
https://goo.gl/photos/SBMrWQcZP9ca1Fa17

Last edited:
Back