Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Did I kill my yeast by rehydrating it with hot water?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
bierislekker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Default Did I kill my yeast by rehydrating it with hot water?

Hi all!

I brewed a batch of double chocolate stout. It came with a pack of dry yeast, which I wanted to rehydrate. I poured a cup of cold water from the tap in the bowl with yeast, and then realized the instructions said "around 90F".

This is where I must have been asleep, as I poured in another cup of water straight from the water heater. It must have been near BOILING. I realized my mistake 30 secs later and added more cold water to bring it back down.

10 mins later I threw it all in the bucket.

It has been 72 hours and there is still zero bubbling in the airlock. Here is a picture of the beer: http://i.imgur.com/foduyB7.jpg I did not take gravity readings.

Did I burn and kill my yeast and should I repitch?


Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1303.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	135581  
bierislekker is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
bribo179
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midwest, Illinois
Posts: 238
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Sounds like you'll have to repitch. I'd say the yeast are dead.


__________________
http://ppbco.blogspot.com/
bribo179 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ravenshead's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: League City, Tx
Posts: 1,248
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

That looks like Kraisen scum on the side of the bucket and the foam looks like post fermentation spooge. Take a gravity reading and report back. I'm guessing you're about 80% through primary.
__________________
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.
Ravenshead is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
bierislekker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenshead View Post
That looks like Kraisen scum on the side of the bucket and the foam looks like post fermentation spooge. Take a gravity reading and report back. I'm guessing you're about 80% through primary.

OK, thanks for forcing me to take my very first gravity reading.

The recipe says OG 1.056 and FG 1.012. It is currently at about 1.016.

Also, I saw a ton of little bubbles when I opened up the bucket. It looked like 5 little fish farts per second.

Is this good news?
bierislekker is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:42 AM   #5
chumpsteak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meridian, ID
Posts: 852
Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

It's almost done fermenting. Leave it alone for at least another week.
__________________
Well lucky you, the devil made you look....
chumpsteak is offline
kh54s10 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
DirtyOldDuck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 553
Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default

If you see a krausen ring around your fermentor you did not kill all of your yeast. Period. It is a clear sign that there has been an active fermentation. Bucket lids can leak and fermentation can occur without any bubbling in the airlock. A double chocolate stout? I would leave it in the fermentor for at least two more weeks. Just put the lid on and ignore it.
DirtyOldDuck is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #7
Paps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gravette, Arkansas
Posts: 736
Liked 121 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 608

Default

You might have not had a good seal on your bucket lid allowing gasses to eascape which would make the airlock not bubble. RDWHAHB.
Paps is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
bierislekker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better now. Will keep you posted on the final result!
bierislekker is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kh54s10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 8,440
Liked 972 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpsteak View Post
It's almost done fermenting. Leave it alone for at least another week.
This ^^^
kh54s10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
texcan2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 152
Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Besides the seal on your bucket, you may have just a little too little fluid in your airlock if its a 3 piece. I've done that once and didn't see it rise and fall.


texcan2000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rehydrating yeast water temperature. Once again. mfjoker Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 03-19-2013 08:50 PM
Run wine though water distiller to kill yeast? muph Wine Making Forum 16 01-19-2012 06:07 PM
Water for rehydrating yeast Phunhog Fermentation & Yeast 1 01-10-2011 01:41 AM
Can cold water kill yeast? chaz56 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 11-30-2010 10:08 PM
Aerated yeast in hot water!! Did I kill yeast? mjc8870 Fermentation & Yeast 4 10-18-2010 01:15 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS