Calculating ABV after backsweetening? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Calculating ABV after backsweetening?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
BadgerBrigade
 
BadgerBrigade's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Monterey, Ca
Posts: 952
Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts



I asked this question once I didn't understand the answer at the time. I've been brewing a little more and I think I'm going to pose the question again.

How do you calculate the ABG change after back sweetening?
P.s.
I plan to filter out or killed the yeast.

Maybe we can use these examples:

3 gallons at 8% ABV....
Question one: What would happen if you added half a gallon of fresh juice
Question two: What would happen if you added a quarter of a gallon of fresh juice
Question three: Three quarters...
Question four: a full gallon...
__________________
Carboy1: Hopped Cider
Carboy2: Apricot (Dry)
Carboy3: Strawberry (Dry)
Bottled: Tons
On Deck: A Secret ;)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
CBMbrewer
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
, The south
Posts: 761
Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts


It's my understanding that if you backsweeten you are adding sugar post fermentation in a way that it will not ferment as well (pasteurization, splenda, lactose). So the added sugars will not ferment into alcohol, co2 and other products; resulting in something slightly sweeter but with no more alcohol.
__________________
Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:35 AM   #3
BadgerBrigade
 
BadgerBrigade's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Monterey, Ca
Posts: 952
Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMbrewer
It's my understanding that if you backsweeten you are adding sugar post fermentation in a way that it will not ferment as well (pasteurization, splenda, lactose). So the added sugars will not ferment into alcohol, co2 and other products; resulting in something slightly sweeter but with no more alcohol.
No no, I'm totally with you as far as the adding the sugar.... I plan on killing the yeast, I just need to know calculation wise...
__________________
Carboy1: Hopped Cider
Carboy2: Apricot (Dry)
Carboy3: Strawberry (Dry)
Bottled: Tons
On Deck: A Secret ;)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
Randzor
Recipes 
 
Jun 2013
Posts: 510
Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts


The easy way would to take a reading at the time of pasteurization(when you kill the yeast). This will give you the final alcohol content and no more need for a specific gravity reading.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Pratzie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,621
Liked 173 Times on 121 Posts


Ur gonna need to get a FG reading of the cider before sweetening, then take a gravity reading of the juices ur using to back sweeten. Post those and someone can prob do the calculations for u... Im uber math stupid or else I would but ur gonna be diluting ur cider's current ABV with sugars in a percentage based on the amount u add to the amount u already have. I hope that makes some sense, it does in my head...

Edit: Add ur starting grav too.
__________________
Bottled: Nothing :(
Kegged: Nothing :(
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Cider

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
WoodAle
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Asheville, NC
Posts: 22
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


You shouldn't need a gravity reading after adding the juice or whatever you you use to back sweeten as long as no more fermentation is taking place. You just need the volume of liquid added. From there it's just a simple dilution factor based on your original alcohol content and volume added

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #7
Doongie
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Madison, WI
Posts: 180
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts


3 g x 128 oz = 384 total oz, 8 % of which are alcohol. 384 * .08 = 30.72 oz of alcohol in 3 gallons. This volume of alcohol doesn't change by adding fluid, it only becomes a smaller percentage of the new volume. Basic algebra allows you to calculate the new abv.

3.25 gallons = 416 oz. however there are still only 30.72 oz of alcohol. so what percentage of 416 oz total volume is that 30.72oz fixed known volume of alcohol?
Formula is 30.72 (fixed volume of alcohol) over 416 (total new volume) = x (unknown new abv) over 100 (100 percent of).
Solve for x --- (30.72*100)/416=7.38. This 7.38 is the new % abv.

3.5 gallons = 448. (30.72*100)/448 = 6.85% abv.

Etc.

The constant is the 8% of the original volume expressed as a actual volume, and then calculate what percentage of any total volume that actual volume is....

3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:37 AM   #8
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Pratzie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,621
Liked 173 Times on 121 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doongie View Post
3 g x 128 oz = 384 total oz, 8 % of which are alcohol. 384 * .08 = 30.72 oz of alcohol in 3 gallons. This volume of alcohol doesn't change by adding fluid, it only becomes a smaller percentage of the new volume. Basic algebra allows you to calculate the new abv.

3.25 gallons = 416 oz. however there are still only 30.72 oz of alcohol. so what percentage of 416 oz total volume is that 30.72oz fixed known volume of alcohol?
Formula is 30.72 (fixed volume of alcohol) over 416 (total new volume) = x (unknown new abv) over 100 (100 percent of).
Solve for x --- (30.72*100)/416=7.38. This 7.38 is the new % abv.

3.5 gallons = 448. (30.72*100)/448 = 6.85% abv.

Etc.

The constant is the 8% of the original volume expressed as a actual volume, and then calculate what percentage of any total volume that actual volume is....
I knew a math wizard would follow thru. Hope this helps, I didn't read it cuz the math gives me a headache!
__________________
Bottled: Nothing :(
Kegged: Nothing :(
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Cider

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
BadgerBrigade
 
BadgerBrigade's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Monterey, Ca
Posts: 952
Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodAle
You shouldn't need a gravity reading after adding the juice or whatever you you use to back sweeten as long as no more fermentation is taking place. You just need the volume of liquid added. From there it's just a simple dilution factor based on your original alcohol content and volume added
Can you show an example please
__________________
Carboy1: Hopped Cider
Carboy2: Apricot (Dry)
Carboy3: Strawberry (Dry)
Bottled: Tons
On Deck: A Secret ;)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #10
BadgerBrigade
 
BadgerBrigade's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Monterey, Ca
Posts: 952
Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doongie
3 g x 128 oz = 384 total oz, 8 % of which are alcohol. 384 * .08 = 30.72 oz of alcohol in 3 gallons. This volume of alcohol doesn't change by adding fluid, it only becomes a smaller percentage of the new volume. Basic algebra allows you to calculate the new abv.

3.25 gallons = 416 oz. however there are still only 30.72 oz of alcohol. so what percentage of 416 oz total volume is that 30.72oz fixed known volume of alcohol?
Formula is 30.72 (fixed volume of alcohol) over 416 (total new volume) = x (unknown new abv) over 100 (100 percent of).
Solve for x --- (30.72*100)/416=7.38. This 7.38 is the new % abv.

3.5 gallons = 448. (30.72*100)/448 = 6.85% abv.

Etc.

The constant is the 8% of the original volume expressed as a actual volume, and then calculate what percentage of any total volume that actual volume is....
PERFECT! Got it! Thank you...
__________________
Carboy1: Hopped Cider
Carboy2: Apricot (Dry)
Carboy3: Strawberry (Dry)
Bottled: Tons
On Deck: A Secret ;)

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
backsweetening ctwtp Mead Forum 13 01-22-2012 03:39 PM
Backsweetening Devo9 Cider Forum 1 11-01-2011 03:11 PM
backsweetening help please SBV Cider Forum 2 07-23-2011 08:19 AM
Backsweetening - How much concentrate? akthor Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 12-03-2010 02:27 PM
backsweetening lowlife Mead Forum 8 10-08-2009 06:58 PM


Forum Jump