Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Not even vaguely gourmet....

Old 07-16-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1997 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 3638

Default Not even vaguely gourmet....

This thread is intended to celebrate the pedestrian... those foods that might be comfort foods or might be grease bombs that you just have to have once or twice a year. Basically... if its on a diner menu its fair game.

I didnt have hamburger buns last night. I was embarrassingly lazy and didnt want to walk the two big blocks to the grocery store. So... I made patty melts.
Two slices of toast, a hamburger patty seasoned with a little adobo, cheddar cheese slices from the deli counter, and grilled onions. 100% better than I expected.

Got one of your own?

the public demands it so I'm tellin' it accurately.
God sent a mean hail storm my way,
I counteracted with a dirty sack of diapers on his highway.
When I die, I don't need a fancy pine box;
throw my body in the Buick, tune the radio to classic rock. ~Grand Buffet

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

MyNameIsPaul Likes This 
Old 07-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Found a recipe for cheesesteaks online that I enjoy making every so often if I don't have rolls.. Grill up all the meat, mushrooms and onions, stuff it into bell peppers that have been seeded and had the tops cut off. Cover with a piece or two of provolone and bake til the cheese melts and gets lightly browned on top. Shovel it all into ur gullet like ur devouring an ice cream cone.

I'd put it somewhere between hardshell crabs and chicken wings on the mess-scale.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild
People Like This 
Old 07-16-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
cruizer8
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts

Chicken fried steaks. Some cube steaks, flour, a little seasoning, and a deep fat frier. Especially good with mashed potatoes and plenty of gravy. Cheap, easy and most importantly tasty.
People Like This 
Old 07-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
corkybstewart

Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I just polished off one of my favorites: Chef Boyardee canned ravioli.
People Like This 
Old 07-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #5
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 7068 Times on 5959 Posts
Likes Given: 1187

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/epic-ramen-177834/
People Like This 
Old 07-16-2013, 05:24 AM   #6
dryboroughbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The other day, I made nachos in the microwave using a can of fire roasted green chiles and a mix of mexican and cheddar cheese that I found in the back of the fridge (couldn't be arsed to make a roux), I topped it all with some leftover bacon. Shockingly tasty.
CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #7
jiggs_casey
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Pretty much anything you can heat in the microwave and wrap in a tortilla. Anything from week old spaghetti to last nights pork steak. Sometimes, I get lucky and find some leftover bacon from breakfast! Whatever. Cover it with cheese, throw a jalapeno in there and call it good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!
CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Old 07-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
surlygirly
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

We used texas toast for our burgers since that's all we had in the house one day....tossed a little feta cheese on top on a whim...fantastic!
People Like This 
Old 07-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1793 Times on 1048 Posts
Likes Given: 4496

Every once in a while I'll fry up a pound of thick sliced bacon (I like Daily's applewood smoked bacon), don't fry it till it's crisp, it should cooked, but still pliable & chewy. Whilst it's draining on a paper towel covered plate, slice up about 1/2 a head of red cabbage. just halve the head on an angle to avoid the core & slice that into about 1/2 inch slices.

Stir-fry that cabbage in the bacon grease in your skillet. Medium-high heat, stir it all very wel to coat it all with the bacon grease. Keep an eye on it & stir it often; break the slices apart as they cook. I like to add fresh ground black pepper while it's cooking, but I never measure it, I just eyeball it & use my nose to tell me when it's enough.

The cabbage is done when it turns blue. Add the bacon back to the cabbage in the skillet to reheat it. I just dump the whole thing onto a big plate & eat it. I've also added sliced green onions & a pinch or 2 of nutmeg, but I like it best with just the black pepper. Of course I wash it down with copious amounts of brown ale.
I know, it's kind of a heart attack on a plate, but it's damned tasty!
Regards, GF.
People Like This 
Old 07-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #10
MoonshineJane73
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I like to fry some bacon, and then crumble it up on a plate and leave the grease in the bottom of the skillet. I slice up some potatoes, toss them into the bacon grease and fry them with salt and pepper. Top it off with as much cheddar cheese as I can reasonably get away with. Then put the potatoes on the same plate as the bacon and mix it up. Grease bomb and I try not to do it too often, but it is delicious.

BTW, has anybody ever tried those knishes (fried mashed potatoes) that are sold by sidewalk vendors in New York City? They're good with a home brew.

People Like This