Bubbling secondary after weeks - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Bubbling secondary after weeks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
waldaleinohio
Recipes 
 
Jul 2013
Posts: 2



I followed the brew instructions 100%, it was in the primary for 5 days, moved to secondary (glass carboy) and after 13 days it started to bubble again...whats going on? One day it did get kinda warm...like high 70's

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
kh54s10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 10,645
Liked 1585 Times on 1304 Posts


Atmospheric pressure or temperature changes will often cause co2 to be released from solution.

waldaleinohio Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
waldaleinohio
Recipes 
 
Jul 2013
Posts: 2


So I slowly cooled it back down, and it does seem to still be bubbling. I was supposed to bottle them today. Should I wait till it stops? Should I start taking gravity readings?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
JonM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Milwaukee
Posts: 7,643
Liked 2651 Times on 1562 Posts


Definitely wait until it stops - more precisely, wait until fermentation stops. Yes, check gravity, and then wait three or so days and check it again. If it's stable, then bottle. Ignore the bubbling - it really doesn't tell you anything. The only way to know if it's done is to use the gravity readings.

Sometimes the instructions are useful, more often than not, they're crap. Sounds like the instructions that came with your kit are not so good. Just ignore the timing schedule in the instructions. THe beer is ready when it's ready, not when the instructions say.
Cheers!
__________________
Who is this Rorschach guy? And why did he paint so many pictures of my parents fighting?

waldaleinohio Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
kh54s10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 10,645
Liked 1585 Times on 1304 Posts


Really at 13 days it should probably still be in primary. In the future, take gravity readings to determine that you are at final gravity before transferring to secondary (if you do a secondary at all - you will have to read up on skipping the secondary).

In this case I would wait another few days then take a gravity reading, wait another 2 days and take a second reading. If they are the same it is safe to bottle it.

Also read up on fermentation temperature control. Controlling the temperature of the fermentation is probably the most important place to concentrate in order to improve the taste of your beer.

waldaleinohio Likes This 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Four weeks and still bubbling! Woodland Fermentation & Yeast 3 04-05-2013 01:51 AM
5 weeks and still bubbling? JonClayton Cider Forum 1 12-12-2010 11:34 AM
Bubbling in secondary after 5 weeks total? peripatetic Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 01-24-2010 05:36 PM
5 weeks, still bubbling Freezeblade Mead Forum 4 06-02-2008 10:15 PM
After 5 weeks in secondary, still bubbling... bottle or no? rockout Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 09-04-2007 06:41 PM


Forum Jump