Through the wall 3 tap hidden keezer build -Done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martianpc

Thirsty Bull Brewing
Reaction score
I just built a through the wall keezer setup. I have a bar in the room already. I built the bar to hold two refrigerators, one for wine and one for soda and bottled beer. I also built a wine rack into it. The top is brushed stainless that I had bent locally.

This site has been beyond helpful to me in learning how to build a keezer. I did not find any examples of people putting it behind a wall and not seeing it. The closest I saw was someone who cut a whole in the wall and pushed the freezer up to it from the back.

I needed to make sure the lines stayed cold and I wanted the taps to be at a nice height on the wall. This ruled out having long shanks that just went into the collar because I would have needed to life the keezer up, that would really make lifting kegs in difficult.

I am using all Stainless steel as well as Perlick 525ss faucets.

The solution was to build a box that would house the shanks. I took the idea from coffin keezers and just made it externally.

Everything works perfectly and the system is nicely balanced. Here are the pictures.

I finished the underside of the drip tray so the drain tube was hidden. Here is the result.

Dude...awesome, awesome work. When I own my own house, I'm going to look at those pictures for inspiration.

Very well done! The PVC pipe for the beer lines and the insulated tap box are sweet.

Great build!

As much fun as it is to follow a build through the creative process, this finished project up front is a great example that you dont always need 50 strangers' advice to be successful. :)

I was looking at these photos again. In this photo there is a little white object laying in the tap box. That appears to be a wireless weather station transmitter. I can't believe I did not think of that. We have three of those and the receiver in our bedroom projects alternating time and temp in a nice "non-offensive" red color onto the ceiling. You could place the receiver anywhere inside your home so you can keep an eye on your temp. I think I'm going to do that for my fermentation cabinet in the garage and/or my keezer in the basement

I was looking at these photos again. In this photo there is a little white object laying in the tap box. That appears to be a wireless weather station transmitter. I can't believe I did not think of that. We have three of those and the receiver in our bedroom projects alternating time and temp in a nice "non-offensive" red color onto the ceiling. You could place the receiver anywhere inside your home so you can keep an eye on your temp. I think I'm going to do that for my fermentation cabinet in the garage and/or my keezer in the basement

I love having the wireless thermometer in there. It is very helpful.

I am making one change to that box. The back is currently wood, but the humidity is making it warp. I cut the tolerances really tight so that's becoming a pain. I'm going to get a piece of either 1/2" or 3/4" acrylic. Should insulate better than wood, and also be awesome looking.

Beautiful solution, but if you want to ghetto it up a bit, you could wrap the wood with contact paper from the dollar store. :mug:

The problem is the wood is warping. Badly. I think I will just do acrylic or that plastic PVC wood. neither one will warp and the acrylic will look really nice.

Here is a pour video promised. The beer is Hoegaarden. The system hadn't been used for a few days so this was a definite first pour in terms of the line temperatures being cold from just the box they are in.

http://youtu.be/9-WPv9ASWrE

I have updated the tap box to have a piece of 3/4" thick Plexiglass with a insulation tape wrapped foam block in the middle to better direct the cool air for the shanks. My temperature difference has not dropped to 2-3 degrees between the keezer and the tap box.

Thinking about adding a Keg-Meter anyone have any experience with them?

tap box all.jpg

tap box.jpg

WHEW!!! That is one sweet rig! If my wife had let me build a bar the way I wanted I was planning to have a kegerator in a little used closet with taps on the wall similar to your setup. The way you did it though goes way beyond what I had planned. Looking forward to the next house already! Hope you don't mind me "borrowing" a few of your ideas! Again, great looking system man.

Props. When are we all invited over for a home brew. Lol jk....great job on the build. I like the fan pulling the cool air into the box...

I love it! wouldn't work for my setup so I can't steal the idea, but I think it's very cool all the same.:cool:

Very nice outcome!

I noticed your bar doesn't have a sink? What is up with that?

Whenever I move the whole bar is designed to be taken apart and moved with me. A sink would have made it permanent.

You're getting it wrong. Remember that bottom picture is the back side.

You're getting it wrong. Remember that bottom picture is the back side.

And 1 is on the left of both pictures - should it not go 1 - 2 - 3 on the front but 3 -2 - 1 on the back? as in the pale ale on tap 1 is flowing through hose 3?

So, which way is the fan blowing on the non-beer-line PVC pipe? Is that supply air or return air? I would imagine it is supply air, but just curious.

So, which way is the fan blowing on the non-beer-line PVC pipe? Is that supply air or return air? I would imagine it is supply air, but just curious.

Return air actually. It was my theory that I would create higher air flow if the air had less restrictions. Blowing into the box I figured would have the airflow going right into a wall. As opposed to the much higher volume of space in the chest freezer. It works remarkably well. I have only a three degree temperature difference between the freezer and the tap box on average.

This is exactly what i was looking for . Its a great way to save space.Parts are ordered I will be copying almost exactly .
Thanks

Love your setup here and would like to incorporate this into the house I am in the process of buying. I had a couple questions for you.

- What type of latches did you use to secure the back of the box?
- Did you just silicone around the co2 hose that you ran through the side of the freezer?
- I'm far from an electrician, but how did you go about hooking up the computer fan?

Thanks for the help and great work

I can't tell by the picture, but here is something to consider if you haven't!

I would make sure that the drain in the drip tray can flow enough, that incase one of the taps got left open long enough, it would not overflow!

It looks like it is the same size tubing as what is going to your faucets!

Love your setup here and would like to incorporate this into the house I am in the process of buying. I had a couple questions for you.

- Did you just silicone around the co2 hose that you ran through the side of the freezer?
- I'm far from an electrician, but how did you go about hooking up the computer fan?

Thanks for the help and great work

-I just bought some latches at Lowes and epoxied them to the plexiglass.

-Didn't need to, I drilled a 1/2 inch hole, forced the hose through and the seal is tight enough that it doesn't leak any air.

Just cut the tip off a 9 volt power adapter and used wire nuts to connect the wires to the fan wires.

Back