3724 Going to slow - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 3724 Going to slow

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
bennie1986
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Posts: 427
Liked 36 Times on 13 Posts



I brewed a "Saison" with 3724. My OG was 1.051 and I pitched a 1.8L starter. It took off really fast but like expected it slowed way down once it hit 1.021. After over a week its only to 1.016. I know I can probably let it ride out and get to my FG but I want my beer faster! I was wondering how much I will ruin the effects of my 3724 if I pitch a different yeast to speed this up. If I do that I have two options for yeast. I have washed wyeast 1332 or a packet of us-05. I am not a huge fan of the us-05 taste in some of the beers that I have done that allow the yeast to come through so if that is a possibility I would rather avoid it.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #2
sptaylor70
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Posts: 630
Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts


Probably the favored yeast to supplement, if you can get some, is Wyeast 3711 French Saison. There are several threads that talk about it - This one, in particular, talks about using it in concert with the Belgian saison yeast.

If you can't get any French saison, then I'd go with US-05 at ~64-66 degF. Should be neutral, where the Northwest should display some fruitiness that might not harmonize with your Belgianocity.


__________________
Todo que reluse no es oro.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
wilcode190
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Puyallup, Wa
Posts: 77
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


I brewed yesterday and used 3724 on a 1.062 saison. I to did not want to wait so I made a starter with the 3724 two days before and also picked up a packet of the bells saison danstar dry yeast. I pitched the starter at 80f and then just sprinkled the dry on top. Starter took right off bubbling two hours later. Well today about 24hrs later it really kicked up again must be the dry yeast hittingits stride. Will up date.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
PJoyce85
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Mainz, Germany
Posts: 1,072
Liked 325 Times on 189 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie1986
I brewed a "Saison" with 3724. My OG was 1.051 and I pitched a 1.8L starter. It took off really fast but like expected it slowed way down once it hit 1.021. After over a week its only to 1.016. I know I can probably let it ride out and get to my FG but I want my beer faster! I was wondering how much I will ruin the effects of my 3724 if I pitch a different yeast to speed this up. If I do that I have two options for yeast. I have washed wyeast 1332 or a packet of us-05. I am not a huge fan of the us-05 taste in some of the beers that I have done that allow the yeast to come through so if that is a possibility I would rather avoid it.
That strain needs to be heated up to finish its fermentation.

What's the current temp? If you have the ability to raise the temp evenly between 5-10 degrees, that will help. BUT it is crucial that you do it immediately. Once this strain stops, it can be difficult to restart, so I've read.

I would not pitch another strain until you do what you can with this one.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Bazaar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
El Paso, Texas
Posts: 113
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts


I love 3724 in the summer because at 90-95*, it takes off and doesn't look back. Just give it heat and time and it'll get there.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
bennie1986
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Posts: 427
Liked 36 Times on 13 Posts


It's was around 75 and I know that's low but that was the best I could do. I busted out the swamp cooler tub and have been dumping in hot water to keep the water in the tub to 95. My sick on thermometer stopped working on my Carboy so I don't know what the actual temp of the beer is now.

Does heating it up speed the yeast up at all or just prevent from crapping out?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
PJoyce85
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Mainz, Germany
Posts: 1,072
Liked 325 Times on 189 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie1986
It's was around 75 and I know that's low but that was the best I could do. I busted out the swamp cooler tub and have been dumping in hot water to keep the water in the tub to 95. My sick on thermometer stopped working on my Carboy so I don't know what the actual temp of the beer is now.

Does heating it up speed the yeast up at all or just prevent from crapping out?
A little bit of both.

The higher temps can also bring out some of the esters required in a Saison or other Belgian style.

I recently brewed a Dark Strong that I fermented at 80. It went from 1.094 to 1.012 in 5 days.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 
 
May 2010
San Luis Valley, CO
Posts: 1,763
Liked 120 Times on 93 Posts


You have to heat it up. My first batch with this strain stalled completely at 1030- you're lucky it got to 1016! I used a Hydrofarm seedling heat mat I got at Ace for about $20 to raise my temps 10+ and it finished nice and dry. I actually split that batch and pitched Brett in half and bumped the temps on the other. I liked the Brett version better!

In my experience this is not a style to rush though. I know you want your beer faster, but if you rush it you'll end up with the last bottle being the best damn beer you've ever made! Saison was originally brewed to sit around for six months to a year before it was consumed and my 3724 brews have all gotten much better with age. Before about 4 months of conditioning it was an OK beer but nothing to get excited about, and that goes for the Brett version too. After that the flavors really melded together and it just started to develop great depth and complexity.

Raise the temps, rouse the yeast, and RDWHAAHB!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirilis View Post
"I cant handle that buddy.. it tastes like Moose Piss", (IPA) - side note.. ive never had moose piss, but im sure it doesnt taste like IPA or I would have a moose.
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
bennie1986
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Posts: 427
Liked 36 Times on 13 Posts


Another thought I had on this was that beer smith predicted my recipe to finish at 1.010. I shot for a 148f mash but ended up being 150f for 75 minutes. I know this yeast and style are suppose to finish really dry but is it possible with the mash that I did?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
PJoyce85
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Mainz, Germany
Posts: 1,072
Liked 325 Times on 189 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie1986
Another thought I had on this was that beer smith predicted my recipe to finish at 1.010. I shot for a 148f mash but ended up being 150f for 75 minutes. I know this yeast and style are suppose to finish really dry but is it possible with the mash that I did?
It's possible but from getting 150 instead of 148, the difference should be minimal. MAYBE 1.011-1.012.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tinfoil to get 3724 going again bennie1986 Fermentation & Yeast 8 07-06-2013 03:22 PM
Wyeast 3724 slow start? beauvafr Fermentation & Yeast 8 06-07-2013 04:12 AM
Slow fermentation w/ Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison TANSTAAFB Fermentation & Yeast 20 04-02-2013 03:19 AM
slow, slow start for yeast Fighting_sin Fermentation & Yeast 9 01-21-2010 07:02 AM
slow slow fermentation question !! WheaYaAt Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-07-2008 06:18 PM


Forum Jump