Kegging - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Kegging

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
pgordon80
Recipes 
 
Jun 2013
Posts: 32


So I licked up and got a keezer from my inlaws. My father in law says to add priming sugar when I keg. What say the forum?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
moscoeb
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Richmond, KY
Posts: 433
Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts


Are you force carbing or natural carbing?
Either way you will need a co2 tank to dispense you beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
Shakybones
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
eastern, Colorado
Posts: 411
Liked 73 Times on 55 Posts


I think it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

If you do keg condition (add sugar), then the beer will need extra time to clear, since you just restarted fermentation. In addition, your first pour or two will be very yeasty.

I just force carb with gas from my tank.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:00 AM   #4
davekippen
 
davekippen's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Grand Ledge, MI
Posts: 1,258
Liked 165 Times on 127 Posts


I prefer to carb with CO2 and not priming sugar. I want to keep as much gunk out of the keg as possible.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Zombie yeast wants graaaaaaaiiins!!!!!!
Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
pgordon80
Recipes 
 
Jun 2013
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen
I prefer to carb with CO2 and not priming sugar. I want to keep as much gunk out of the keg as possible.
I have a CO2 tank. I'm new to kegging so I was looking for a general consensus on with method is preferred. He mentioned force carbing changes the flavor, is that like bottle vs draught? This forum rocks with all the advice btw.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
mikescooling
 
mikescooling's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,006
Liked 269 Times on 203 Posts


First off, where are your from? I'm asking because I don't know what "licked up" means. Also important to know what keg means? sanke, corney or the english keg that would be like our bottling bucket?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
firerat
F-You I'm Drunk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
firerat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,022
Liked 362 Times on 222 Posts


I use sugar simply because I have more kegs than taps currently and I like to have my beer carbed and ready when space is available.

I've both force carbed and natural carbed and see no difference ao long as my math is correct.

Personally, if I had the means to force carb all my kegs I would and eventually want to just for the simplicity of it.
__________________
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but thats just the way I am."--Homer J. Simpson

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #8
pgordon80
Recipes 
 
Jun 2013
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling
First off, where are your from? I'm asking because I don't know what "licked up" means. Also important to know what keg means? sanke, corney or the english keg that would be like our bottling bucket?
*Lucked up. Fat fingers and typing on a damn iPhone. Kegging into 5 gallon ball lock kegs.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:12 AM   #9
mikescooling
 
mikescooling's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,006
Liked 269 Times on 203 Posts


OK, we were typing at the same time. Some say natural carbing gives s smoother carb, with lots of micro bubbles. CO2 is cleaner, faster, and most people do it this way. You can force carb but it's not as good as letting it sit on gas for at least a week. You can force carb then let it sit for a week and it will be pritty good or you can just let it sit on gas for 2 weeks and it will be better.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #10
pgordon80
Recipes 
 
Jun 2013
Posts: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling
OK, we were typing at the same time. Some say natural carbing gives s smoother carb, with lots of micro bubbles. CO2 is cleaner, faster, and most people do it this way. You can force carb but it's not as good as letting it sit on gas for at least a week. You can force carb then let it sit for a week and it will be pritty good or you can just let it sit on gas for 2 weeks and it will be better.
Ok thank you. Sorry about the typos. This phone drives me insane.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
kegging my first cyser/cider (1st time kegging period) A50SNAKE Cider Forum 1 06-15-2013 08:46 PM
Nitro kegging Vs Regular CO2 Kegging Pratzie Bottling/Kegging 6 03-21-2013 03:25 PM
Looking to get into Kegging Medevac_Chief Bottling/Kegging 5 10-19-2011 01:18 PM
Getting into kegging Flywheel Bottling/Kegging 18 12-10-2010 07:15 PM
kegging question from a kegging noob RootvonRoot Bottling/Kegging 8 05-22-2009 02:03 PM


Forum Jump