American Pale Ale Manwell's Pale (Mosaic SMaSH)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathPowe

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05 (rehydrated)
Yeast Starter
nah
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
nah
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
~1.050
Final Gravity
~1.010
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
~36 (Tinseth)
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days
Additional Fermentation
5 days at 64, 9-10 at 68
Tasting Notes
Super drinkable. Make this beer.
Thought I'd share this one with the group. It's become my house beer. So simple, so good.

Grain:
10lbs Maris Otter

Hops:
.25oz Mosaic (12.7%) @ 60min
.75oz Mosaic (12.7%) @ 15min
1.0oz Mosaic (12.7%) @ 0min (hopstand for 20min before chilling)
2.0oz Mosaic (12.7%) - Dry Hop

Yeast:
US-05 (rehydrated)

Mash at 152-153*F. The US-05 will drop it pretty low, so adjust for your preference.
Calculated for ~75% mash efficiency.
Whirlfloc at 10min

Simple SMaSH beer that tastes unbelievably good. Great showcase for the Mosaic hops. Comes in right around 5%, so it's a great session beer. Nice tropical fruit notes from the Mosaic. Do the hopstand - I think it's noticeable and worth the extra 20min during brewday. I do it with all my hoppy beers (I give it a few stirs throughout the hopstand with the chiller). You do get some bitterness from such a hopstand, so keep that in mind. I put 3min into Beersmith for 20min hopstand additions to account for the additional bitterness. YMMV.

Ferments out nicely in 2 weeks. I usually start at 64*F and then crank it up to 68*F after 4 or 5 days to finish out. After that I rack to a keg - usually cold crashing first. If it's going straight into the kegerator after racking I add the dry hops to the keg (strainer bag tied w/ dental floss), put it in the kegerator, force carbonate cold for 10 days or so, then drink. I leave the dry hops in the whole time while drinking. If it's not going into the kegerator right away I add the dry hops to the keg for 4 or 5 days at room temp, then remove them (strainer bag again) and prime the keg with corn sugar. It will be carbed and ready to go in a couple weeks. Tastes amazing either way.

The name has no special meaning (my name isn't Manwell) - a while back my buddy and I drank a keg of this goodness over a couple days and he just started calling it that. Woke up the second day and it was scribbled on the keg board. The name has stuck.

If you like Mosaic or are looking to try it, I highly recommend making this beer. I'm going to make another batch this weekend. I like having a keg of it in the back room all ready to go. Hope you dig it and happy brewing.

Cheers.

This sounds very interesting to me. Been looking for something lie this. Guess I'll have to give it a try next weekend. I got half pound of mosaic for Christmas, so.... I'll let you know how it turns out! Should be ready for big fishing trip with the guys.

Nice man. Good luck with the brew - I think you'll really enjoy it. Should be a great beer for quaffing on a fishing trip. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Cheers.

I'm assuming this is for 5 gallons right?

I'm going to make this for a party. Everybody likes pale ale. (I think) And it should be cost effective and tasty.

Just waiting for my temperature controller to come in the mail so I can dial in the ferm temps just right :rockin:

Yeah, 5 gallons man. Should be a great party beer. Post back how it goes. Cheers.

I just placed an order for the MO and Mosaic. I had a Mosaic pale ale at Freestate brewery a few weeks ago that was fantastic. I cant wait for this one!

I did this pretty much to directions with a couple mishaps. I substituted nottingham for 05 because I just like nottingham and they're practically interchangeable anyways

During my mash, heated strike water to 167 to try to hit 153-152 as directions said. My stove pot is just really good at keeping heat and I found after five to eight minutes it was in the 160s. I freaked and threw a bunch of ice cubes in it which brought it down to about 152-150 for the next 45 minutes or so. I've heard once you mash too hot, the conversion just happens and there's not much you can do. Needless to say, I might have a thicker, sweeter beer than intended.

Still hit a OG of 1.057 which is fine, but I'm assuming some of those are definitely unfermentables :(

Chilled to 64 degrees and pitched. Currently going at 64 as is the ambient temp in my house (still waiting on that johnson temp controller, ugh)

I'll post results and pics in a few weeks. Thanks again!

Got a lb of Mosaic hops for 10 bucks from a pro-brewer friend and was wondering what to do with them. Now I know. lol

Gonna brew this one up in the next few weeks with only slight variations. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for the recipe! :D

Nice. Let us know how it goes. I'm brewing a red ale with Columbus and Mosaic tomorrow morning. Great minds hop alike apparently.

Enjoy the brew.

Nice. Let us know how it goes. I'm brewing a red ale with Columbus and Mosaic tomorrow morning. Great minds hop alike apparently.

Enjoy the brew.

Brewday went good. I ended up making a change and using conan since i had been stepping it up from a heady and had it ready. Should turn out good :D. I may end up trying it with 1056 next time.

I'm thinking that's going to be amazing with Conan. I brewed with that stuff for a while after a friend from the NE sent me some Headies. It always made great beer.

I'm thinking that's going to be amazing with Conan. I brewed with that stuff for a while after a friend from the NE sent me some Headies. It always made great beer.

Im hoping it plays well with the mosaic and doesnt mask it. I want the full mosaic potential but i guess we will see shortly.

What would you think about making this with Golden Promise instead of MO? They're pretty similar right? I love mosaic and have 1/2 lb in the freezer so I think this may be my next brew. Thanks!

Only one way to find out :D

Can't wait! I've got a house IPA that uses Chinook for bittering then late additions of Chinook and Mosaic (both are in the dry hop as well) but it will be nice to see what the Mosaic is like all on its own. Cheers!

What would you think about making this with Golden Promise instead of MO? They're pretty similar right? I love mosaic and have 1/2 lb in the freezer so I think this may be my next brew. Thanks!

Can't wait! I've got a house IPA that uses Chinook for bittering then late additions of Chinook and Mosaic (both are in the dry hop as well) but it will be nice to see what the Mosaic is like all on its own. Cheers!

I've never used Golden Promise myself, but I hear good things and I'm sure it will make a tasty beer. Chinook and Mosaic sounds like a really killer combo. Probably going to rack my Columbus/Mosaic Red Ale type-thing onto some keg hops tonight (more Columbus and Mosaic). Hopefully I'll be tasting its goodness next week.

Let us know how it goes with the GP.

Bottled this recipe today, messed up my yeast hydration and ended up using nottingham because I had some leftover. Smells AMAZING. Really looking forward to this beer!

Did a variation of this recipe on Saturday - did 11 lbs of Maris Otter, 1 oz Mosaic at 60 and 1 oz at knockout and did a 20 min hopstand. Should come out somewhere around 45 IBUs with the AAs I had. Pitched 800 mL starter of Wyeast 1272 American Ale II on it. Fermenting away at 68 in my basement and smells like a winner already. Gonna dry hop it with 2 more ounces soon.

Thanks for the recipe! :mug:

Just pulled my first pint of this and it is delicious. First brewday with my new grain crusher, efficiency shot way up so I hit OG of 1.066, not what I intended but a great beer.

Thanks for the recipe will brew again.

This was my first all-grain attempt and it turned out wonderful. I figured I would have low efficiency on my first AG try, but actually ended up getting crazy good efficiency - something like 85%. Rather than water it down I decided to "settle" for a higher ABV beer. You mentioned that the hopstand is important. From my understanding this should really kick up the aroma. I don't know whether it's all owed to the hopstand or not, but I can say that my pours have smelled amazing. I'll keep doing the stands in the future. I'm real excited to make this again.

I also used this recipe as a template for an Amarillo SMaSH. The Amarillo beer also turned out well, but the flavor profile of the Mosaic hops is something special -- it certainly hit the sweet spot for me.

Thank you for posting this!

Nevermind just realized this thread started over a year ago. Anyway I love mosaic hops I may try this one some day.

Sounds good! My LHBS is having a 40% off sale, I bought the ingredients to brew this tomorrow.

This will be my first SMaSh. I would like to try to do a bunch of SMASH brews .It will help me understand what a grain or hop should taste like.

I was thinking of doing this three different ways to showcase the hops. First one only do the bittering hops. Second do only the aroma and dry hops. Then do the full hop schedule . Has anybodyd one anythingl Iike this ?

My daughter dumped out my us-05 while it was rehydrating. So I used a California ale yeast cake I had in the fridge. Hope this works.

Going to brew this one soon. So I'm bumping the thread closer to the top so I can find it easier. 🕵

Just subscribe!

Brewed this a month and a half ago and am very happy with the outcome. Can't say enough about the hop stand - has made the biggest difference in the quality of my IPAs and PAs.

Just purchased 10 lbs M-O to go with the Mosaic hops I have. Now I only need to find the time between the kids' soccer games this weekend.

I am going to brew this one today, I have a pound of Mosaic that anxious to get used.

This, sir, is a delicious ale. I got massive passion fruit from Mosaic. This brew is so simple, yet fantastic at the same time. Nice, clean and tasty... A winner.

This recipe looks awesome but my homebrew shop was out of mosaic so I'm doing the same recipe with all galaxy hops...should be good I hope?

Used this recipe to try out my new mill and kettle. Numbers need more tweaking but it came out well. Will be even better when I get everything dialed in. Thanks OP!

20171022_123317.jpg

Just kegged basically the same thing 8 days ago, already sneaking tastes from the keg.

I yielded 20gal and had pretty much the same recipe.
Mash at 152
43# of 2 row(I love MO but I cheaped out)
3oz at 60
3oz at 20
3oz at 5
3oz at 0
1 US-05 per fermenter rehydrated
Hop Tea into the keg when transferring(4oz hops yielding a quart and a half of tea after absorbtion)

I agree that Mosaic is amazing for a smash. We are hosting my sister's 50th in a week and will have a huge number of beer drinkers. I hope they don't drink all of it!

I also brewed a Mosaic Smash on August 2nd.

100% Weyermann Pale Ale malt
1 x US-05
Mosaic hops * crop 2017 * (10.4% AA )
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.011
5.8% ABV
IBUs: 30
4 SRM ( very light, hazy yellow )
Soft water profile: 110 ppm SO4 / 55 ppm chloride / 5 ppm Mg / 2 ppm Na / 110 ppm Ca / Mash pH:5.4

Tasting notes from fermenter: very strong aromatic nose ( I have yet to dry hop it ), soft mouthfeel with no perceivable bitterness. Citrus, tropical, a bit of pine. Very good so far. I will dry hop tomorrow most likely and bottle 2-3 after I dry hopped. ( for me, shorter time gets me better results in terms of aroma ).

This is my first smash with Mosaic and I am so looking forward to!

I used this recipe as a baseline for my first SMASH brew. Mine was higher IBUs but turned out great. Wife said it was her favorite out of the 10 batches I've done thus far. Ordered more Maris Otter to experiment with.

MO + Mosaic is my all-time favorite SMaSH!

I brew mine a bit closer to a 2xIPA:

13.5 pounds MO
0.5oz Mosaic first wort
0.5oz Mosaic @ 15 min
.25 tsp Irish Moss @ 10 min
1.5oz Mosaic @ 30 whirlpool/hopstand at 180F
Imperial 'Flagship' yeast (same as W1056 or WLP001)
2.5oz Mosaic @ dry hop 4 days

mash at 151F for 60 min

1.061 OG
1.013 FG
50 IBUs
6.1% ABV
5.5G into carboy

ferment 2-4 days at 64F until krausen drops, then bump up to 68F in 1F increments per day and hold for 10 days

cold crash to 34F and gelatin fine

keg and serve

if I was ever to brew this as a non SMaSH, I'd add 0.5oz of Magnum at the 60 min mark to increase the bitterness a bit and balance better against the heavier malt content

What is your water profile? I think the water profile is very important for the mosaic hop

Resurrecting this thread for no other reason than to say thanks for the recipe, NathPowe. I brewed a modified version of it a month ago and it's delicious!

Back