Market Research - What do you need, but can't build? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Market Research - What do you need, but can't build?

Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Jan 2005
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi Everyone, I'm taking a little poll...

I've been an All-Grain Brewer for about 10 years now, and I've never used the same config twice. Every batch is a Frankenstein of new equipment, impromptu corrections, and good intentions gone haywire. Luckily, no beer has ever been ruined.

I'm in the process of a career change, and since professional brewing is cost-prohibitive and low-paying (I've got kids to put through college), I want to produce brewing equipment for the homebrewer. While I have plenty of experience with my own equipment needs, I want to see what the world is looking for. If any of you want to chime in, please answer a few questions:

What part of the brewing process gives you the most trouble?
What piece of equipment is on your wishlist, but is too expensive to consider?
Do you have a specific need that you've never been able to find a product for?

I'm interested in helping find solutions for any part of the process, from recipe formulation through pouring it into the glass. Thanks for your help,
Primary: --
Secondary: --
Conditioning: --
Drinking: House Ale, Steamy Summer Day
Next Batch: Winter Wheat Porter

Old 07-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
May 2011
Stoughton, WI
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Mill motorizing kits. It seems like many of us want to do this, but we're all hodge-podging to get it done. Buying a garage door opener motor is the hot topic here in DIY forum right now.

a kit to do this would be great in my opinion. perhaps even work with MM or someone to offer a "complete kit".

I just picked up a motor, I'll have to make a mount of some kind, after adapting the garage door opener to accept a lovejoy, and then make it "pretty". I might have considered paying someone for all of that if I could have.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Liked 1721 Times on 1409 Posts

I am on a fairly tight budget so the more expensive pieces of equipment are getting assembled slowly over time. My next project will probably be a keezer.

I am using a corona style mill for my grain but would like a good roller mill. If you can come up with a way to get a full hopper version for $50 or less I would be first in line.

If I ever hit the jackpot an electric brewery would be in the works.

Other than these ramblings I have nothing constructive to offer.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Invented the IPL
Mar 2012
rockville, md
Liked 199 Times on 170 Posts

A lot of people are building their own conicals with plastic sprayer equipment. I think a person could make a ton of dough building a plastic conical from the ground up and selling it at a fair price in comparison with the DIY sprayer style conicals.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Feb 2010
Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts

I wish I could come up with something for you, but if my few years of brewing experience have taught me anything, most homebrewers like to build their own shtuff. If I were to point you in a direction, something to make cleaning easier. Easily the worst part of this hobby/obsession/lifestyle/addiction.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Sep 2012
buffalo, new york
Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts

Come up with a more efficient way to cool wort.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Jul 2012
Killeen, TX
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Stainless Steel Autosiphon. The patent is expired, but I suspect the machining might be a bear. Not a machinist/tool guy so I can't speak to it. I wonder why no one else has done it.
Heathen King Brewing: Nothing succeeds like excess
On Tap: Commodore Perry IPA, Heathen Cider, Heathen ESB, Pointer's Proper ESB
Primary: Sorachi Ace Mild, "Oh ****, My Bad" Imperial Milk Stout, Belgian OSMB Imperial Milk Stout (1 Gal), Raw Honey Mead
Bottled: Vanilla Mead, Hot Mess Cinnamon Ale (...still aging), Gulden Raven (Belgian Dark Strong)

People Like This 
Old 07-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Apr 2011
Carlsbad, CA
Liked 63 Times on 51 Posts

I made my own upsidedown keggle MLT valve arm but i think others can benefit from it.

Stealthcruiser Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
Jul 2012
Raleigh, NC
Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts

Your probem is going to be "scale"... some of the other manufacturers make other stuff and brewing equipment is justone of thier "lines".

So: they get their raw materials way cheaper than we can and have all the tooling to build stuff.

I am not saying don't try this but you need to find a niche market where you can actually make some money....

I mean, what ever you do someone might copy your idea and then you have competition...

Good Luck....

Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Apr 2013
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

A 1500-1800 watt heat stick. They are inexpensive to make but risky to build yourself if you don't have the know how. There is a big gap in the market for them.

I myself and a lot homebrewers use the marshalltown heatstick from amazon. It is only 1000 watts and flickers on and off when it gets too hot.

There is this option for a 1800 watt heater but it costs around 150-180 and is pretty hard now to find.

If you could make a heat stick with 1500-1800 watts with a GFCI adapter it would help a lot of homebrewers that can't use propane or can only brew inside. I would imagine you can price it around 100 dollars and still have a lot of people ordering it.

Just my nickel minus three

People Like This